Autopsy

This was it! Finally! The other side had been destroyed!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt a firm but gentle hand hold mine as I awoke from a well needed nap, my eyes fluttered open. Sitting beside me was Mason, he smiled softly.

My throat was dry and sore because of the oxygen mask, there has been times where I have struggled to breath even with it on. It's been two weeks since the other side collapsed so this means I will never see or hear of Sophie, Milten and Jackson for as long as I live... I hope.

"Morning sleepy head" Mason whispered, I attempted to smile in return but it was too much effort. "The doctors said that they're gonna remove your oxygen mask for a few tests later to try to help you with your breathing" Mason explained.

Ever since they pumped my lungs back they have been struggling to work properly, it's too complicated for me to even understand all I know is that the smoke seriously damaged my lungs and if I wouldn't have been saved there and then I would probably be dead.

I gazed into Mason's beautiful soft hazel chestnutty eyes for what felt like hours, I could do this for hours more.

"I'm sorry" Mason apologised for some strange reason.

I gave him a puzzled confused look,

"I shouldn't have let that crazy cop dag you down there! I shouldn't of left the building for one second, I should have been there! I should have saved you before..." He stopped before the tears could stroll down his face but it was too late, "Before this happened"

I felt like a doll, I couldn't tell him it wasn't his fault because I can't even take a breath by myself before choking, I couldn't give him a hug or sooth him because I was attached to way too many wires and chords.

"But I have good news!" He chimed, whipping the tears away from his eyes. "The cop who put you down in the cell was fired and sentenced to five years for displacement and cruelty to a not yet proven anything victim"

I was shocked, In all honesty I was happy she was punished, but five years! Seriously?!

"It's a little much as a punishment but apparently she has done stuff like this before" Mason interrupted.

Just then a doctor entered the room, he had a look on his face I've seen way too many times it was starting to get unhealthy.

"Miss Veronica Merrell?"

I looked up to grab his attention.

"Your sister's autopsy results have arrived." He stated loud and clear, the sentence repeated itself in my head continually, haunting my conscience.

I closed my eyes wanting to fall into an ever lasting bottomless pit. I wanted to run, run as fast as I possibly could away from here...but I couldn't, I had no choice but to lay on the bed and listen.

I watched as Mason left the room to give us some privacy.

"Before we start I would like to apologize in advance for being the one to tell you this, I know it's always hard to lose a loved one. But it seems your sister's heart failed after a sudden surge of electricity strained through her body, the doctors aren't sure how it happened but a team of scientists say it could have been a rare type of lightning that rarely strikes, it shoots out of a cloud when a random amount of electric current gathers very fast. They say only four people have ever been unlucky enough for the to be struck and so far there has been no survivors..." The kind doctor explained as salty drops slid down my cheeks.

As he jabbered on I thought about what really happened.

It was all Milten's fault! He blasted Nessa with his powerful energy knowing well she was a human! I wanted to help her but it was too late and by the time I had noticed Milten's plan there was no time for her to escape. I remember shaking her violently, praying for her to wake up, how I held her cold limp lifeless hand for the last time.

"I'll give you sometime alone" The doctor stated as he left the room.

I lay there, tears staining my cheeks, my throat throbbing.

(A/N: Hey Guys! Thanks so much for reading! Sorry for the short chapter but at least we know Veronica is not going back to jail <3)