The Burial

I felt Mason pull me closer and embrace me into his arms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the ceremony my dad approached Mason and I and asked Mason if he would like to be a pallbearer.

"I would be honored Mr Merrell" Mason replied shaking my father's hand.

People stood up in their seats as my mother and I walked down the aisle towards the door, behind me was my uncle, cousin Isaac, Dad and Mason carrying Nessa's coffin on their shoulders.

As we reached the hearse they loaded her coffin in, Draping a white cloth above it to symbolize peace. I placed my head on my mothers shoulder and sobbed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rode in Mason's jeep with him to the cemetery because I was hyperventilating and his car was the closest to us.

When we arrived at the graveyard I shakily opened the car door, I stepped out, my high heels sinking into the muddy dew ridden grass.

Mason placed his hands on my hips and helped me to the cobble stone pathway.

No other cars had arrived yet so it was just us, because my family took the limo.

He felt me shaking and placed his hand in mine, tears welled in my eyes as my legs trembled beneath me. "Mason I can't do this!" I cried, attempting to make my way over to his jeep, but his grip stayed firm on my hand.

"Veronica you know you shouldn't do that" He reassured me.

"Mason you don't understand!" I cried.

"Veronica please, do this for Vanessa, after this it's over" He stated,

"But it's not, she'll be gone physically forever but for me she's mentally here, reminding me daily that we can't be together! That I will never have a chance to see her again!" I cried, tears now streaming down my face. If it wasn't for a new coat of waterproof mascara my makeup would be destroyed.

"If you're not gonna do this for Nessa do it for yourself...please?" He asked as he pulled me in closer for a hug. I gently nodded my head.

We walked towards the burial ground where the hearse was waiting with the back boot open.

"Mason do you mind giving me a moment alone" I whispered,

"Of course, take your time"

I walked towards the hearse and sat in the boot in front of her coffin.

"I'm sorry" I apologise. "We could have accomplished so many more things in life... if we hadn't have driven off that stupid bridge. But I guess that wouldn't have made a difference. I mean Milten even said it was fate that you were to die" I stated bluntly. Standing up to face her coffin. "Nessa I found out something devastating, something you weren't bothered to tell me" I paused to regain my breath as my lungs weren't strong enough. "You knew! You knew for a long time that you were gonna die, I don't know how, but you didn't even bother to tell me! We could have tried to prevent all this from happening! You could have told me!" I cried, tears now streaming from my eyes, "Look where this brought you! Look! You're about to be buried! You died at the age of 20 originally and then 23! If you think that's impossible then maybe attempting to prevent this wasn't!" I grew angry towards her, I ran towards her coffin and punched it causing a bolt of pain to rise through my fist. "I'm sorry" I whispered as I calmed down, I rested my hand on her coffin apologising continuously, begging for a response.

I heard footsteps approach me and then a pair of arms on my hips, "Hush now, calm down you'll be alright" Mason whispered as he kissed my forehead, "You'll be alright"

After minutes of regaining myself I began to calm down, The guests began to arrive and gather around the unfilled grave.

I rested my head on Mason's chest still embraced in his warm comforting hug.

He left to help carry Nessa's coffin to the grave and onto the casket lowering device, I watched in pain as her coffin was slowly lowered deeper and deeper into the dark grave.

I stepped forward and scooped a large handful of soil into my hand and threw it into the grave hearing it hit the coffin with a thud.

My father and my uncle began filling the grave to the brim with dirt.

I walked back over to Mason, my vision was growing blurry and I was out of breath.

"Veronica are you alright?" I heard him ask,

"I can't do this" I whispered,

"Veronica we discussed this you can't leave, you'll sooner regret it"

"No Mason I mean seriously" I wheezed.

My legs gave way beneath me as Mason swiftly caught me and lifted me into the cradle position.

"I can't breath!" I coughed, trying not to gather any attention as I struggled for air.

A crowd gathered around me, bustling and panicking, yet no one tried to help.

"Her oxygen tubes are on her desk in her bedroom" I heard my mom shout over the crowd.

I felt Mason running towards his jeep, I coughed and wheezed as my lungs failed to retrieve air.

Mason carefully lay me down in the back seat, strapping my upper body to the chair. He raced around the car and jumped into the driver's seat.

I stopped breathing full stop for what felt like hours but must have been only seconds, finally my lungs allowed a small breath to stop me from suffocating.

Mason's hand reached back and grabbed mine, "Hang on Veronica! Please! We're almost there!"

I used all my energy to squeeze his hand back to indicate I would try.

I felt the car come to a sudden standstill, I heard Mason curse heavily. We must have gotten caught in traffic.

I began to slowly lose consciousness, my lungs slyly shutting down.

A sudden jolt of the car blew air into me as we started speeding towards my house.

Time seemed to stay in slow motion, I felt Mason run to me and carry my out of the car. My head rested on his shoulder and my arm around his neck. He sprinted towards the front door attempting to open it but it was locked.

I tried to stay awake, but my eyes were shutting on me, I could just about make out Mason kicking flowerpots around in search for a spare key. I finally heard a massive sigh of relief as he picked up a key and bustled the door open. He ran up the stairs, careful not to drop me.

"Veronica stay strong just two more seconds!" Mason shouted, trying to keep me from letting go.

By now I was at least four minutes without a breath and I could feel my body begin to shut down.

I was placed down on a bed, I could just about hear Mason scouting the room for my oxygen tubes.

"Wrong room!" he shouted angrily at himself for what seemed like miles off.

He ran out and returned seconds later, he placed the tubes up my nasal area and turned my cylinder up to high.

I felt a refreshing gust of fresh air being blasted into my lungs. I could finally breath.

"Oh thank goodness!" Mason shouted kissing my forehead,

"You're my hero" I wheezed as all went black.

(A/N: Hey guys I just wanna say thank you so much for 10k reads!😱❤️ It means so much to me! Thank you!)