chapter. 3

x (2y - 5 ) = y + 4
2xy - 5x = y + 4
2xy - y = 4 + 5x
( 2x - 1 ) y = 4 + 5x
y = 4 + 5x
_____
2x - 1

I wrote down. I dragged Ross into Mrs.Canning's classroom at lunch to squeeze in some extra more time of helping him with math since I can't be at his house long today because I have plans with Jayce.

"Do you get that?" I asked, handing him the pen.

He scrunched his eyebrows at me, "Not at all."

"Ross," I sighed, "I just did three examples for you, you don't get any?"

"Well, I don't know." He groaned, slumping down in his seat becoming frustrated, "It's hard."

"So are you, ninety nine percent of the time." I teased, "Come on, try one."

He gently nudged me with his elbow, understanding my dirty joke with a grin on his face, picking up the pen he stared at one of the algebraic expressions on the piece of paper.

Watching him write down the wrong numbers I shook my head, "Nu uh.."

He looked at me and scribbled it, trying again and putting the right number in the wrong spot, "N-No," I said quietly, what? he's doing it wrong! I can't help it...

He sighed heavily and scratched that out too, now writing the wrong number and in the wrong order.

"Not like that," I said softly, watching him slam the pen down.

"I give up!" He exclaimed, "This shit is too hard, I'm gonna fail."

"You aren't going to fail," I chuckled, placing my hand on his shoulder,  "You have me to help you, it's our first day, Ross. You'll get the hang of it."

"Laura's right, Ross." Mrs.Canning's said, making both Ross and I look up at her, "You'll get the hang of it- and Laura's doing you a sweet favour so don't bail on her that easily, she's an extremely smart student."

I smiled at the older woman standing above us,
probably in her late forties as the wrinkles near her eyes and forehead creased to be quite visible, she had short dark brown hair, laying right on her shoulders with a dark red lip stick on, matching her blouse followed along with a pair of black dress pants.

She looks like she owns a cat, but hey! I'm not judging.

When she walked away, I was about to write down another expression for Ross to try but he grabbed my wrist, stopping me which made me look over at him.

"Tell me what happened with your dad," He said, "You said you would."

I turned my gaze towards the paper again, "Nothing happened, I'm just getting sick and tired of all his promises and apologizes. It sucks to come home and see him passed out loaded sleeping on the couch, my mom and I are afraid to even breath in that house, it's like a bomb could go off at any second."

"Did he start screaming again yesterday?" He asked, his voice low so no other kids in the classroom could hear.

I shook my head, "He was going to start, but my mom took him out of my room. He expects me to forgive and forget when he gets drunk and causes stupid shit, but I don't. I think he's an idiot, he's not even my dad anymore." I said sadly, feeling that lump return in my throat again.

I felt the palm of Ross' hand on my back as he rubbed small circles around it slowly, it was a comforting feeling.

"It's like he doesn't even care about me or my mom anymore, alcohol is his whole life now." I added on.