chapter.40

"Come on, Laura, we're home." My eyes suddenly fluttered open as we parked in our driveway that Sunday evening, Vanessa lightly tapping my arm to let me we've arrived home.

Groaning as I get out of the car and help bring in some bags, I walked up to my room and fell onto the bed, missing it dearly as this camping trip felt like it lasted a year.

I stripped out of my jeans and tee shirt, putting on a pair of comfy pyjama pants and a random white tank top, throwing my hair into a messy bun.

"You okay?" I turned around and saw Vanessa leaning on my door frame with her arms crossed.

I sighed and nodded, "Yeah, are you?"

"I asked you first, and being your big older sister. I've known you long enough that I can tell when you're lying." She grinned, shutting the door behind her as she walked over to my bed. "So spill."

"Honestly Vanessa, I'm okay." I lied, "Just tired and hungry."

"I don't buy it." She sighed.

"What about you, huh? Riker still on your mind?" I smirked, wanting to change the subject.

"N-No, I-I don't know," She groaned, falling down onto my bed, "It's just, seeing him this weekend made me feel so different."

"In what way?" I asked, sitting down beside her.

"A good way." She frowned, "A scary way."

"I think you still have feelings for Riker." I admitted, "And I think he still has feelings for you, I mean- didn't you see his face when you told everyone the news, he even left the table."

A shade of red appeared on her cheeks, "I don't know, Laura. I don't want to ruin his relationship with Savannah, she seems like such a sweet girl and I can tell she really loves him. And I'm with Sean, it's his baby."

I nodded understandingly, "I see where you're coming from. Maybe just give it some time, see how you feel once you're back in Seattle with Sean."

She smiled, "Thanks, Laura."

I chuckled, "Anytime."

After Vanessa and I talked to each other for a while, I realized that it helped me keep Ross and what happened off my mind, she was telling me stories and showing me pictures of everything in Seattle and I did the same about what's here in California and told her all about what happened between Jayce and how he cheated on me.

Finally getting called down for dinner, my mom had a huge smile on her face, "I can't believe my Vanessa is pregnant."

With it just being the four of us and not the Lynch's, my mom and dad could finally fan girl themselves over Vanessa's pregnancy.

"Thanks mom, I'm super excited. Sean wanted to be here with me when I broke the news, but that wouldn't have been for a while." Vanessa chuckled, picking at the steamed vegetables on her plate.

"I agree, we'll definitely give him a call later tonight to say congratulations." My mom said, smiling.

"And for me to give him a fatherly lecture." My dad teased. My dad and Vanessa never really got along before, they would always bicker like my dad and I used to, but thankfully he hasn't been drinking and I think the walk they went on today, brought them closer together.

"So besides the fact that I'm going to be a grandma soon." My mom chuckled, "How did everyone enjoy this years camping trip?"

I frowned, "It was fun."

The best part was when Ross kissed me...and then left.

But my favourite part, was when he told me to pretend like nothing happened.

"Laura, sweetie." My mom said softly, "Are you okay, you look sad. Did something happen on this camping trip?"

I shook my head and forced a big smile, "Oh no, I'm just tired."

My mom didn't believe it but she let it go, listening to Vanessa and my dad talk about their favourite parts while still keeping her eye on me.

• • •

After we had washed dishes and put away everything, I head up to my room and collapse onto my bed, seeing the picture of Ross and I on my night stand table, haunting me with the memories of this camping trip, last year our friendship was so much less complicated; that is because he was dating Tess at the time.

I don't even know if I have feelings for Ross, or if I have too much feelings for him, I have no idea what to do or feel, all I know is that I felt something when he kissed me.

Grabbing my covers up to my chin in hopes to fall asleep and forget it all, every position felt uncomfortable and I couldn't sleep, feeling annoyed and frustrated with Ross on my mind; I need help.

My dad had went to work right after supper, so it was just my mom, me and Vanessa in the house. I quietly walked towards my parents room; knocking on it gently because I knew my mom was in there.

"Come in," She called out, I nervously turned the knob to allow myself in, seeing that she had her lamp on, a novel in her hands and she was wearing her night glasses.

"Hey, sweetie." She smiled, "How are you?"

I smiled, "Can I talk to you about something?"

My mom smiled and put down her book, "I knew there was something."

I rolled my eyes playfully and shut the door behind me, crawling into her bed to lay next to her.

"What is it, dear?" My mom asked me, studying my face.

"I need help, well actually your o-opinion." I stuttered, "On something."

She nodded, wanting me to keep talking.

"Ross and I kissed last night." I said hesitantly, "A-And I don't know how I feel about him."

My moms eyes widened at my words, her mouth even dropped a bit, "When last night?"

"When everyone went to bed, he came into my tent and we were just casually talking and then it sort of happened because he asked if he could kiss me, and I nodded, I don't know why I nodded but I did." I said shyly.

My moms look then softened and she sighed, "Well what did you feel, when he kissed you?"

"Like a firework exploded in my stomach, like adrenaline was just rushing through my body and I can't stop thinking about it, it's like nothing else mattered when he kissed me, it was just us in the moment, I felt so real and free and happy, it was so magical." I sighed, catching myself smiling as I explained it all...

Oh wait...

"I think that just answered your question," My mom smiled.

"W-What?" I stuttered, hoping it wasn't true.

"Laura," My mom chuckled, "You like Ross."

Well... Fuck

~~~
Hey guys sorry, I was really busy today! So I didn't have much time to update and I'm sorry that it's so short; I hope these late updates aren't hell for you guys, it's just the only time I can really get to it 💛😅
Anyways, hope you enjoyed !