chapter. 25

"Vanessa's coming down from Seattle to attend our camping trip this summer with the Lynch's." My mom said cutting into the roast beef she prepared for dinner, "That'll be nice, won't it? You haven't seen your sister in months."

"Yeah," I said quietly, "Since Christmas."

My mom smiled softly at me, I scooped up a fork of mash potatoes and put it in my mouth, awkwardly sitting at the kitchen table with my mom and dad.

"Anything interesting happen at school today?" My dad asked, trying to act as if we never had an argument just days ago.

But because I was tired and didn't feel like arguing, I shook my head as a 'no'.

"Why don't we all watch a movie after supper?" My mom asked; probably feeling the same amount of tension. "As a family."

"I have homework." I told her.

"I'll watch a movie with you, dear." My dad said, softly touching her arm. He's sober, his kindness is from being sober.

My mom sighed and nodded, "Well then Laura I suppose you can wash your plate and head up to start your homework."

I nodded and took my last few bites of beef since I was already full, tossing the rest in the garbage and then washing my plate in the sink.

Running upstairs to my bedroom; literally gave me a sigh of relief. I hate being around him, I didn't have homework but it for sure got me out of movie night with them.

Grabbing my phone to see that I had a few notifications while I was downstairs, I read them all and only one caught my attention. A message from Vanessa.

Smiling as I replied back;

Yes, to answer your question

Yes, to answer your question. Vanessa and Riker dated while Ross and I were in our sophomore year; thats kind of how Ross' parents know mine so well, I mean Riker and Vanessa were in a really serious relationship but things got pretty ugly when they started having their little disagreements, that turned into bickering, then turned into arguments and lastly turned in serious fights.