chapter. 4

'You have reached the voicemail of 223-438-5620, please leave a message after the beep'

I've called three times, three times and Jayce hasn't answered. I was confused as where he might be, but also why he lied to me. His dad isn't even home, he isn't cleaning the garage like he said he was.

I grabbed my bag of chips off the rack and slammed it down on the check out aisle, I was furious. Why would he lie to me?

The lady looked somewhat frightened by me as she looked at me softly, "That'll be four fifty seven,"

I handed her the five dollar bill I had brought with me and I grabbed my chips, walking to my car in a hurry, slamming the door I texted him; Where are you? Answer my fucking phone calls.

Putting my seat belt on, I-I shouldn't do this but I do, I grabbed the cigarette from my glove compartment. When I'm stressed, I smoke. I used to smoke a lot in my previous relationship when I dated Andrew Gorin back in Junior year. He got me into pretty bad stuff, but once Ross found out I was smoking, he flipped.

Ross didn't talk to me for days, and I mean like a whole week, he didn't like what Andrew did to me so he took matters into his own hands, getting suspended for fighting Andrew in the cafeteria. He helped me quit, though he thinks.

If Ross EVER found out I still smoked on occasion, I think he'd lose control. I brought the lighter up to the cigarette that I held between my lips; debating on wether to light it or not.

But right at that moment, my phone lit up, Ross texted me: I got Rydel to check my answers, I got three wrong out of the seven, I think I deserve a well earned vanilla ice cream ;) But that'll be another day, hope you're enjoying your date.

I smiled and hesitatingly- removed the unlit cigarette out of my mouth, setting it back in the glove compartment. I started to type: That's good.

But before I set my phone back down, Ross was now calling me.

"Hello?" I answered, forcing my voice of sadness to happiness.

"Don't hello me, what's wrong?" He asked sternly.

"It scares me how you can tell when I'm sad and happy." I confessed, resting my hand on my forehead.

"Aren't you with Jayce, did you guys get into a fight?" He asked.

I shut my eyes tightly, "I'm not with him."

"Why?" He asked, "What happen?"

"Nothing, Ross. Can I call you later I'm driving." I huffed.

"You're driving? Then come drive to my house and pick me up." He said.

"No, I'm not in the mood to hangout Ross." I told him, "I'm sorry."

"I don't care what you're in the mood for, come get me." He said plainly.

I knew that I couldn't get out of not picking him up, either way I'll end up seeing him today because that's how Ross is, once he knows I'm bothered or upset. He'll be by my side.

"I'll be there in ten." I sighed.

• • •