The future

Phoebe POV.

"Mom?"
I look up from my desk and see my son, Elijah.
His blond hair needs a haircut badly, I could barely see his blue greenish eyes.
He looks a lot like me, my features, eyes, hair and my characteristics.

Elijah was a sweet and kind kid, that hated violence and never raised his voice in his life.
The compliments I got on his respect and behaviour made me a proud mom.

"Yes, honey?" I smile.
He looks troubled and out of mind. The same old feeling in my stomach comes back, the worry.
Since my first child I had this worry. I needed to know if they were fine and always wanted them close. Maybe it was just something that came with mothership.

"How does love feel like?" He asks shyly.
A grin explodes on my voice and I put my pen down.

"Do you have a crush?" I ask teasingly.
He groans and let's himself fall into the chair in front of me.

"Who is it?" Demand curious.
A million girls go through my mind, but one pops out.
They have been growing up together and are like the cutest.

"Is it Elizabeth?" I wonder giggling excited.
Elizabeth was Gideon's daughter, it wouldn't be awesome if we would actually become family.

"I-" he was cut off by his younger sister.
"Mommy, I can't find my pink shoes!" My seven year old daughter, Alissa, run in my office.

"Honey, I'll come soon, but your brother-" she cut me off.
"It's super uber important!" She exclaims and runs to me, I close my eyes.
She starts to wince and annoy me.
"Go, we'll talk later." Elijah reassures me.

I try to hold him back, but Alissa demands my attention.
He walks out the room, seeming more down. My heart breaks thinking about my baby in hurt.

"Come I'll help you." I tell Alissa as I take hold of her little hand and pull her downstairs.

----------------

"How come you're shoes are in the kitchen?" I ask Alissa, half grinning.
She frowns, thinking. When she starts humming, I knew she stopped thinking about an answer. Her head was always full of dreams and hopes, I loved her for it.
She was my little rainbow, a wild, but precious one.

Caleb, my 12 year old son, walks in the kitchen. His brown hair is a perfect mess and his kadeleiscope eyes looked bored.
He opens the fridge, but I close it.

"Dinner is ready in five." I tell him.
"But I'm hungry now." He insists.
"And you'll be hungry until those five minutes passed." I told him.

"Whatever, Phoebe." He mutters, walking away.
I close my eyes and grip the edge of the counter. Something happened to him a few weeks ago and it was like I lost him.

He used to be a laid back, sweet and good guy. But now it like thunderclouds possessed him. It scared me, I wanted my baby boy back.

"DADDDY!" Alissa screamed, making me jump in fear.
I look up and see James lifting Alissa up and spinning her around.
Her little giggles lift my spirit a bit up, before I see Caleb lifelessly in the cough.

Two arms come around my waist and suddenly I'm kissing someone. I recognize his lisps immediately. The same old spark that never left and only grew.
James was my meant to be, I knew that from day one.

"Hey, gorgeous." He whispers after pulling away.
I smile as big as I can, but Caleb just hunts my mind.
"Is he still so down?" James guessed, pulling me in his chest.

"He called me Phoebe." I whisper my voice breaking.
James cups my face and plants a sweet kiss on my forehead.

"We'll talk to him." He promised, I nodded.
The oven goes and I hurry to take out the food.

--------------------

"How was school?" James asks the kids.
Alissa immediately claims the speaking and starts to explain everything.

"Amazing! We had to draw our family today and I did! Wanna see it?" She grinned widely.
Her front tooth were missing, so it made her more cute.

"Of course." I told her smiling.
She run to her backpack and came back with a drawing.
Alissa had this weird talent, where she could already draw so professional.
It was mesmerising, she got every detail of our faces right.

I stood in the middle next to James, but Alissa pressed between us. At my other side stood Elijah and next to James Caleb.
But something caught my eye. A girl next to Caleb, tears appeared in my eyes.

"That's Clara!" Alissa smiled brightly, nobody follows her smile. Caleb freezes and James tenses.

"That's really pretty, but let's continue eating." Elijah was first to react, he grabs the drawing and puts it away.
"But-" he cut his little sister off.

"Alissa, no." He tells her sternly.
"I don't get it! I thought you would be happy seeing Clara!" She yells at Caleb, who still is frozen.

"Why don't you respond?" Alissa demands.
He's close to breaking, but I can't get myself to stop her.
Just hearing her name makes me break all over again.

"Do you hate her?" Alissa gasps, a tear falls down Calebs cheek and James unfreezes.
"Alissa, your brother loved Clara more than anyone. Don't be hard on him, that wasn't nice of you to say." He tells her sternly.

Alissa looks at Caleb, who walks away, tears dripping down his cheeks.
I follow him to his room. He breaks down on his bed, trembling heavily.

I pull him to my chest and kiss his forehead and let him cry. I try my hardest to not cry, but it's hard. Watching one you love break down and know they have been suffering for this long, it makes you feel guilty and heartbroken.

"Please talk to me." I whisper to him.
He cries and holds onto me tighter.
I hear someone at the door and see it's James.

He sits at Caleb's other side and joins our hug.
"She hunts me." Caleb admits.
Me and James stare at each other.

"Clara?" James his voice is trembling.
Caleb nods, I pull him closer.
"How? Can you explain me?" I ask softly.

"She appears in my dreams, mom, she's suffering."
I tense and so does James.
"Did Hades sent her to-" he cut me off.

"She never made it to the underworld."
I frown, my heart beating fast. I didn't get it. Every death soul goes to the underworld.

""It has been 2 years, where is she?" James asks.
"I don't know, she only screams for me to help and I can't." Caleb cries.
I jump up, my whole body tenses up and I try to stay calm.
But I can't.

"Lets go talk to Nico." James suggests.
I nod and stare at Caleb, who looks tired and worried.
I kneel in front of him and cup his face.

"Your dad and I are going to take care of this, alright? Clara is going to be fine, nobody messes with my children." I promise him.

He nods and stands up, James lays his arm around his shoulder as they make their way downstairs.
"I just need to grab something, wait in the car for me." I tell them.

James nods and pulls Caleb along.
I make my way to one room I haven't been in, in two years.

Clara's.