11| A New Girl in the City

September 2003,

Raabia is overexcited as she exited the Mumbai airport. This is the first time she is so far away from home that too on her own. Unlike other girls, she isn't worried. Dragging her wheeled red and white Samsonite bag, an eighteen-year-old Raabia looked around for a cab. Many cab and auto drivers bombarded her to take their cab. She found it difficult to choose one, some refused to take her to IIT-B and some charged a lot. After ten-fifteen minutes of struggling, Raabia finally found a cab.

A stubby dark middle-aged man dressed in rough Khaki uniform opened the back bonnet of his Maruti 800 car and Raabia along with the man placed her luggage behind.

She thanked him and got into the back seat.

As the cab sped through the highway, Raabia rolled down the window pane and first stuck out her head and then half her body. The driver insisted she doesn't do that but Raabia requested him to relax. She ruffled her hair with her fingers and closed her eyes feeling the wind hit her face and disappear into her unruly curls. She moved her head to the peppy music and yelled

'WOOHOOOOOOOOO!'

Raabia was disappointed as the car ride came to an end; the driver was relieved. She paid him the cash and unloaded her luggage from the back.

She looked awestruck at the campus, IIT-B. The campus surrounded by forest; the tall buildings, the beautiful scenery, Raabia for a moment doubted if she is at an engineering college or some sanctuary.

She picked up the Map of the campus and searched for ladies hostel.

As she looked around she got a call from her father. Her anxious father had called ten times already. She picked up the call and requested him that she will call little later.

*************************************************************

Finally, what seemed like an eternity she found the ladies hostel. At the reception, she found out her room is 410 on the fourth floor. She dragged her luggage up the fourth floor. Luckily, the room was just next to the stairs. Raabia adjusted her maroon top and knocked the door. She felt excited to meet her new roommates. Probably they could be her new classmate as well.

Soon, a fair skinned, brown eyes and bob cut hair girl opened the door. Raabia looked at her noticing she is dressed in Hello Kitty PJs.

'Hey.' Raabia waved brightly at her.

'Hey.' The girl said dully and entered the room. Raabia shrugged and walked in with her luggage.

Raabia looked around the room is painted entirely in white with the cream strip running in the center. The room has two beds stuck to the walls, they are across each other with a large space in between. On top of each bed is a tube light and behind the beds are large cupboards. Besides both, the beds are two wooden tables with white plastic chairs. Raabia placed her bag on the bed and turned around. Her roommate sat crossed leg on the bed flipping through a People's magazine. Raabia looked at the film star's photo on the cover briefly before looking at the girl. She had only her big round brown eyes showing from top of the book. Raabia noticed how her Iris moved as she read the magazine.

Raabia sighed and sat on her bed. She unzipped her bag and took out a bedsheet. She placed her bag down and neatly spread the bedsheet. She took out her clothes, cleaned her cupboard and neatly folded her clothes and placed them inside. She arranged her books on the table and sighed placing her palms on her hips.

Raabia looked at her roommate; she is still engrossed in the book. Raabia shook her head and then tugged her curls behind her ears and stuffed her empty suitcase under the bed. She flopped on the bed and looked up at her roommate. She watched her flip a page. Raabia was saved the effort to talk to her when her father called.

She had to leave the room to talk to the network inside the room was bad. Raabia walked in the lobby outside the room and talked leisurely with him.

After Raabia had cut the call and entered the room, she found her roommate writing something. Raabia placed her phone on the table and looked at the young girl.

'Hey.' Raabia sat on her bed, the girl looked sharply at her and Raabia quickly stood up.

'I am Raabia Kaif.' She stuck out her palm to the girl. The girl's gaze darted from Raabia's face to her hand.

'Meera Awasthi.' The girl shook hands with Raabia.

'So, you came here since?' Raabia asked and so the conversation started with the girls.

As Raabia talked with her, she had a complete change of opinion about Meera. Meera seemed introvert from outside but getting to know her more Raabia realized she is a fun company. She just takes time to open up to people.

Meera is from Rajasthan and shifted here two days ago. While Raabia is from the CSE department Meera is from Mechanical. Raabia was surprised to know this as not many girls opt for that branch.

'Good there will be handsome boys.' Meera winked at her and the two girls giggled. Looking at the little of the crowd on the way Raabia doubts Meera will find "handsome boys", she will most probably find "Uncle boys." Raabia mentally chuckled.

*************************************************************

Fun Fact: The room described in the chapter was my first hostel room. Same room no.410! Ah, what good memories...and guess what guys, I too was in CSE department. But, before you get excited I would like you to know that I wasn't in IIT :D :D :D

 18-year-old Raabia was much less Khadus, Haina guys :D :D 

I Guess that's her *hehehehehe*

Mumbai *sigh* what a lovely place? Who all are from Mumbai comment below and do tell me more about your place *_* I was a toddler when I was in Mumbai so I don't remember much.

And How was the Chapter, guys? What you think will Meera find Handsome looking boys or Uncle looking boys *No offense* Drop in your thoughts :*

Thanks so much, my loves, for reading *flying kisses* and please, pretty please don't forget to vote and comment before you leave *puppy dog eyes*