61| Mr. and Mrs. Alam

In the next few weeks, the couple didn't advance from their kissing stage. Raabia was too shy, also she wanted to confess her love first. Saad, on the other hand, was hesitant because he wasn't yet sure about his feelings. Even though they are married, and they have every right to proceed further but something didn't seem right to him. Especially after knowing Raabia's feelings he had become more cautious.

Most of their nights were awkward. With them either kissing or staring up at the ceiling fan, a safe distance between them.

One day, Raabia had stayed home as she wasn't feeling well. A slight headache. Though she had wanted to go, Saad forced her to stay. At first, she tried being ideal or watch some TV but felt bored and so began working.

As she worked, there is a ring of the door-bell. Raabia frowned wondering who could it be? She pushed her glasses with her middle-finger and stood up.

She gasped peeping through the peep-hole. She hurried to the room and removed her glasses. There was no time to change her muddy brown Tee so she wore a white shrug and quickly changed from her boxers and into white pants.

Raabia almost tripped as she scurried towards the door. She tugged her hair behind her ears and took a deep breath. She opened the door.

'Hello, Aunty, Uncle.' Raabia greeted her in-laws with a broad smile. Mrs. Alam beamed back while Mr. Alam had kept a straight face.

'What took you so long?' He asked her dryly. Something about his deep voice made the hairs on the back of Raabia's neck stand up.

'I was- in the-bathroom.' She made up an excuse pointing behind her. Mr. Alam simply nodded and entered. Raabia found that rude, also she is surprised to see Mrs. Alam dragging in two trolley bags. Raabia offered her help.

'Where is Zoya, Aunty?' Raabia asked looking over Mrs. Alam's head. She frowned and placed her palm on Raabia's shoulder and she looked at her mother-in-law.

'Beta, why do you call me Aunty? Call me Ma, Mom, Ammi anything.' She said softly. Raabia had instant tears in her eyes. Mrs. Alam noticed the change in Raabia's demeanor and held her palm.

'What happened, beta?'

Raabia sniffed and quickly wiped her tears with the back of her free fingers. She forced a smile and placed her other palm over Mrs. Alam's.

'Nothing, Aun-Ma,' – Raabia felt a lump and tears in her eyes, - 'I had lost my mother when I was just nine and ever since- I wanted to call someone as-Ma.' Raabia felt emotional.

Mrs. Alam squeezed her palm and smiled. 'Don't think you don't have a mother. You have me, beta.' She assured her.

Raabia smiled and hugged her mother-in-law tightly. This is the first time she is hugging her so tightly. Raabia closed her eyes letting more tears fall.

'HEENA!'

The two women jumped apart hearing Mr. Alam's thundering voice. Raabia noticed Mrs. Alam shiver and hurry into the room. Raabia didn't want to make her in-laws uncomfortable and so chose to ignore it. As she walked towards her room she heard Mr. Alam scream at her mother-in-law.

'WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE NOT PACKED IT. YOU KNOW I NEED MY CIGARETTE. SILLY WOMAN.'

Raabia clenched her fists tightly when she heard a slapping sound. She took a step towards the room but didn't feel it right to interfere in their matter. Soon, Mrs. Alam came out and Raabia noted tears in her eyes. She looked at Raabia and quickly placed her dupatta over her head covering her cheek.

'Arey, beta-', she forced a smile, her eyes glistening with tears, - 'Do you have cigarette pack?' she asked, her voice quivered as she fought her tears. Raabia felt her heart pinch seeing how Mrs. Alam is acting like nothing is wrong.

She wanted to point it out but thought of discussing it with Saad first.

'I will get it from the grocery store downstairs.' Raabia replied and quickly left the apartment. As she stepped out she realized she had tears in her eyes as well.

********************************************************

Saad had a terrible day at work. His boss was in a terrible mood, more than usual, and fired at his favorite employee- Saad Alam.

He massaged his forehead as he stood in front of the apartment. His awful day will have a perfect ending by getting to spend some time with Raabia. As the door clicked, Saad forced a smile. He didn't want Raabia to see him miserable.

His smile faded slowly as he saw his mother on the other side, - 'Surprise! Sweetheart.' She gushed and leaped hugging her son. Saad stood still with his arms open and hovering around his mother's waist.

Saad is still dazed as his mother took his laptop bag from him and asked him how is work was. He simply shook his head. Mrs. Alam made him sit at the table and wandered off to the kitchen to get some water. Saad looked around, his eyes searching for either Raabia or Zoya.

'Where is Zoya?' He asked as his mother handed him a glass of cold water. She smiled sitting beside her son.

'Zoya had important internal exams and so she is staying over with her friend, Sushma for a week.' Mrs. Alam informed. Saad nodded. She placed her palm over her son's and caressed his palm lovingly.

'HEENA!'

Mrs. Alam quivered hearing her husband's call her name. Saad clenched his fingers tightly, that's apparently all he could do. Mrs. Alam scurried towards the room after she had gone Saad relaxed his fingers.

*************************************************

Mr. Alam *Angry face* What do you think of yourself *punch his face* Hmph.....

What are your thoughts on the Chapter, guys? Drop them in the comments *smiles*

And...