18| Engagement Ceremony

Saad and his family had arrived the venue earlier and Saad was made to sit on a small throne on the stage. He felt like a show piece sitting there. Thankfully, he had his friends and Zoya beside him. The most annoying people were his Bua and her friends. They were buzzing around him like he is a sunflower and they are the annoying bees.

'The bride is here.' Someone announced and everyone straightened. Saad is relieved as everyone left him. Zoya jumped down from the throne's armrest and rushed towards the main entrance.

Soon, Raabia is brought in. She had her arm entangled with her father's as she walked in. Dhruv nudged Saad to stand up as he looked rude sitting down. Slowly, Saad stood up. His gaze fixed on Raabia.

She didn't look like the Raabia he knew, instead, she looked stunning. With her unruly wild curls straightened they looked longer, her black straight hair fell till her waist. Half parted and resting on her shoulder while the rest at the back hidden behind the Dupatta that covered the top of her head.

Saad' gaze traveled from her hair to the golden Maang tikka in the center of her hair and then to her face. She had used minimal make-up, yet she looked beautiful. Saad noticed she has worn a light golden Jhumka and a delicate gold and diamond necklace stuck to her throat.

Wow! Is what his head said

'Yuck.' Is what he said out loud.

As she reached the stage, slowly Raabia moved her head up and saw Saad standing on the stage. He is dressed in a navy-blue suit with an ink blue tie and white shirt. Raabia noticed he has a slimmed down compared to before, not that he was very healthy before but now he looks much more toned. Raabia guessed he must be hiding an awesome physique under the layers of his suit.

Damn it! Raabia what the hell are you thinking? – She mentally scolded herself. She is made to stand next to Saad. He didn't even bother faking a smile. Raabia didn't smile either. Standing close to each other they noticed how much the other has changed over the years.

Meeting after ten years they didn't even realize who they were until their names were revealed.

Saad noted her doe-shaped dark eyes were the same, her nose sharp but her thin lips appeared fuller, maybe it is the effect of the velvet red lipstick. He realized her jawline has become slightly more chiseled, perhaps she worked on it.

Raabia looked at Saad realizing how his boyish charming face has now matured into a handsome young man. His slightly trimmed stubble matted his square cut jaw, his gray eyes lacked the twinkle that always had appeared whenever he had challenged her or beaten her in something back in college.

'Ahem, Ahem!' Hearing someone clear their throat both looked away. Zoya grinned at them, she ignored her brother's glare.

'Bhaiya? Bhabhi? If your staring session is over shall we proceed with the ring ceremony.' She teased them. Neither replied Raabia stared at her feet while Saad looked elsewhere.

Mrs. Alam opened a small red velvet box revealing a beautiful golden solitaire ring. She forwarded it to her husband. Mr. Alam plucked out the ring and forwarded it to his son. Mrs. Junaid held Raabia's hand and forwarded it to Saad. He noticed the beautiful Mehendi pattern adorning Raabia's white hand.

Raabia cringed as Saad held her hand. She didn't look up and so didn't notice the faces he made as he slipped the ring onto her finger.

Saad and Raabia retracted their hands so quickly as though they have touched something disgusting.

Oblivious, everyone clapped.

Mr. Kaif passed a beautiful Silver and stone studded engagement ring to his daughter. Raabia took it. Saad rolled his eyes and forwarded his hand. Raabia closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She self-motivated herself and quickly slid the ring onto his finger and they moved back. Everything happened with such lightning speed that even the cameraman didn't have time to click photos. He began whining but Saad insisted that once done they can't repeat the ritual.