65| Saad Takes a Stand

Mr. Alam looked visibly stunned, Saad looked furious while Mrs. Alam gaped fearfully at them. Having Saad by her side, Raabia felt confident. She dropped her arms and stood confidently beside her husband.

Saad jerked his father's hand away and he stumbled back. Mr. Alam's posture looked like he is intimidated. He gulped looking at the fury in Saad's eyes.

'Enough! Mr. Alam. I have been bearing you abusing my mother for way too long but I won't tolerate you abusing my wife.' Saad said sternly. Raabia is stunned he is taking her side. Mrs. Alam smiled little.

Mr. Alam looked wide-eyed for a second before clenching his jaw.

'How dare you?' He growled raising his hand to hit Saad but he had better reflexives and held his father's arm. He moved his arm away, Mr. Alam looked at him.

'Whatever, I am going to sleep.' He waved his hand in the air and walked towards the bed. Saad stared at his father walking away. Strangely, it felt good he stood up against his father. This feeling made him feel guilty- he should have stood up against his father a long time ago.

'Saad!' Raabia gushed and wrapped her arms around his shoulder, she rested her head on his back and smiled widely. She is very proud of him.

'Umm...Thanks.' Saad replied awkwardly. Realizing Mrs. Alam is watching them, Raabia lets go of Saad. She felt her ears burn. Mrs. Alam chuckled, she walked towards her son and held his arm.

'I am proud of you, son.' She said. Saad noticed tears glistening in her eyes and felt his heart sink. His mother had been suffering so much and he never stood up for her. He held her and pulled her into a tight hug. Raabia watched the reunion of the mother-son with tears in her eyes.

'I promise you, Mom, I will not that man abuse you again. I promise.' Saad assured his mother and held her tighter. Mrs. Alam simply smiled in response.

**************************************

Saad followed Raabia into their room. Raabia had a bright smile as she sat on the bed. Saad watched her as he sat beside her.

'Thanks.' He muttered still looking at her. Raabia looked away from oblivion and at him, her smile faded.

Saad propped himself on his elbow and moved his hand. Raabia found her breath getting caught in her throat as he held her palm. He stared at it briefly before looking up into her eyes.

'Because of you, I stood up against my father. Something I should have done earlier.' He confessed. Raabia smiled. She liked the feeling as he caressed the back of her palm.

'Thank you too.' Raabia replied. Saad looked at her confusedly and, so she cleared the doubt, - 'for standing up for me.'

Saad looked away, he stared at her palm and replied, - 'I had to, you are my wife.'

Raabia felt touched by his words. She shifted resting her head on his shoulder, she wrapped her arm around his. Saad tilted his head little and stared at the top of her head. He had a wild urge to kiss her but stopped himself.

Soon, the two slept off. Saad had the most peaceful sleep in ages. Finally, he felt like a huge boulder of guilt and anguish lifted off his chest. He felt much lighter, confident and peaceful.

******************************************

Next morning, Mrs. Alam is surprised to find Raabia making Dosas for breakfast. They smiled and exchanged greetings. When Mrs. Alam protested insisting she makes food Raabia interrupted her stating, - 'Come on, Ma. You have come on a holiday. Enjoy.' She nudged her mother-in-law. Mrs. Alam smiled gratefully at her.