41| Let's be Friends

With each Skype ring, Raabia felt her heartbeat increasing. Out of nervousness, she clenched her fist tightly under the table.

This is a bad idea, back out Raabia - her brain set off an alarm in her brain.

Finally, when she moved her fingers to cut the call Zoya's face popped on screen.

'Hey.'

Raabia flinched nearly jumping in her seat. That was sudden.

'Hey.' Raabia replied tugging the edges of her hair, suddenly she felt conscious.

'Bhabhi. How are you and how is Bhai?' Zoya asked happily.

Raabia smiled awkwardly. She placed her curls on her shoulder and began the conservation with normal stuff.

She fidgeted with nails as she maneuvered the conservation towards Saad.

'Your Bhai is so shy, I must say.'

'Are you kidding me, Bhabhi?'

Raabia bit her lower lip, after a short pause she replied, - 'but with me he is. Like whenever I ask him what is his favorite food he keeps saying different things.' Raabia waved her hand trying to sound casual.

Zoya giggled. 'Bhai's favorite is Baigan (Brinjal/eggplant)'

Raabia blinked at her with her mouth slightly open. Looking at her reaction, Zoya chuckled loudly.

'I know, -' she pushed aside random strands off her forehead and continued, - 'his choice of food is weird and embarrassing.' Zoya admitted.

Raabia is pleasantly shocked because Baigan is Saad's favorite and it's her favorite too. It is rare for people to like Baigan.

'Everything alright, Bhabhi?' Zoya asked, she leaned forward and looked at Raabia concerned. Raabia shook her head but she couldn't hide her smile. Before she was about to cut the call, Zoya insisted she spoke with Mrs. Alam. Raabia instantly agreed.

Soon, Mrs. Alam came and waved at Raabia. She waved back smiling at her mother-in-law. Raabia remembers only faintly of her mother, but when she sees Mrs. Alam she wished she was her mother. Many times, she feels envious of Saad and Zoya for having mother's love, something she had craved for all her life.

Raabia's smile faded on noticing a bruise mark on her arm. When she inquired about it, her mother-in-law began hiding it with her Saree Pallu and abruptly left. Raabia found it fishy. She wanted to inquire from Zoya but she too made the excuse of studies and left.

Raabia leaned back in her seat and blinked at the screen for a minute before closing the flap and getting up.

She wore a night robe over her night suit and tied her hair in a quick bun and left the apartment for a nearby grocery store.

*************************************************

Fifteen minutes later, she returned. Removing her night robe, she took the grocery bags into the kitchen. Placing the bag on the kitchen slab she took one item a time and quickly got to work. She has planned to make her mom's special; her father taught her the recipe. Bagara Baigan; Raabia smiled to herself.

She felt excitement rise as she chopped the onions, she kept glancing at the pot checking on the spices. She closed her eyes and sniffed taking in the aroma of the roasted spices. Carefully, she dropped the onions into the hot vessel and stirred the mixture.

As the food cooked, Raabia paced in the kitchen and later sat on the kitchen slab flipping through a magazine.

She was done soon with that and began on the Rotis.

*************************************************

Saad paid the cab and got into the building. He felt his stomach rumble badly, he kept glancing impatiently at the LED screen above the elevator door. When is the damn floor coming? - he thought angrily.

Saad stepped out of the elevator and hurried towards the apartment. He is hoping Raabia is in good mood and so he can request he share her food.

In this one week of being married, he had made his own breakfast, ate lunch at work and dinner with his friends. Saad had only occasionally experienced the marital bliss of having a taste of wife's cooking.

He rang the doorbell. Within minutes the door opened and Raabia greeted him. Though nothing was evident from her face, Saad could make out something was up.

'Tada!' Raabia gestured towards the fully plated table. Saad dropped his laptop bag as he gaped at the table. Raabia looked worriedly at him. She was cautious when she asked him, - 'So?'

'Wow, Raabia. Baigan. Are you serious?' Saad exclaimed removing the lid and staring at the food she prepared.

'All this for me?' Saad pointed excitedly at himself.

'For us.' Raabia smiled folding her arms.

'Oh Wow! Thank you so much. I was so f***ing hungry.' Saad exclaimed in relieve.

Raabia froze with her eyes wide as he hugged her. Saad was too relieved to realize he has hugged her. But Raabia felt conscious feeling his arms around her. Slowly, she moved her arms and was about to hug him when he broke the hug.

She stood there still as he blabbered about freshening up first and then pouncing on the food. Talking to himself, he disappeared into the room, still, Raabia stood like a statue.

Slowly, she closed her eyes and sniffed, his cologne still lingered. Though the hug was for a split second it felt like an eternity to her.

Wow! - Raabia thought

Seconds later, she frowned wondering what is happening to her.

This is strange- she thought.

**************************************************

Raabia watched with a happy smile as Saad enjoyed the food. He looked like an overexcited kid.

'How did you know this was my favorite?' He asked licking his fingers clean. It is after so long he is having his favorite vegetable, that too so delicious.

Raabia smiled leaning forward, - 'I did some research.' She shrugged.

'Amazing.' Saad complimented her.

'By the way, you know it is my favorite too.' Raabia confessed. Saad stopped eating, he looked like he had his mind blown as he gaped at her with his jaw dropped.

'No ways. See we have so much in common, we should be friends.' He shook his head and got back to eating.

'Don't push your luck.' Raabia smiled picking up her dirty plate. Her smile widened when he groaned.

******************************************************

Later that night, Raabia found herself staring at the rotating ceiling fan. With a dreamy smile on her face, she kept twirling the edge of her hair.

Something strange is happening to her, she felt her heart fluttering every time she thought of their hug. She secretly wished the hug was a bit longer. 

**********************************************

Wow! Someone is falling in love *dreamy sigh* Raabia *_* but Saad isn't getting any hint *rolls eyes* 

What do you guys think? Should they become friends? How will Saad fall in love with her? Gosh, I am so excited, guys *_* What are your thoughts? Drop your comments :*

Thanks so, so, much for reading, my lovelies *flying kisses* Pretty please, don't forget to vote and comment *puppy dog eyes*