Chapter 9

"Carina!"

Carina woke from her unconscious state. She looked around and found herself in the Hospital Wing with Ron, who lay on his own bed with his foot wrapped up; Harry, who was still unconscious; and Hermione, who stood by her bed upon seeing her awake. But someone wasn't in the Hospital Wing, someone who needed to be taken care of immediately.

"Where is he?" Carina asked frantically, "Where's Sirius? Where's my Dad?"

Hermione pursed her lips, "They've captured Sirius – "

"Captured him?" Carina asked

"Listen... any minute the Dementors are going to perform the Kiss."

Carina bolted out of bed, and just in time. Harry woke.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry asked.

The two girls explained to Harry about what was to happen. He asked about the Dementor's Kiss, and once Carina explained the process, he paled and immediately got out of bed.

"We have to save him." Harry said.

The doors opened and Dumbledore entered.

"Professor! You've got to stop them!" Carina begged.

"They've got the wrong man!" Hermione added.

"It's true, sir! Sirius is innocent –" Harry explained.

"It's Scabbers who did it!" Ron said.

Dumbledore turned to the boy with a confused look. "Scabbers?"

"My rat, sir – only he's not really a rat – well he was a rat -- "

"The point is!" Hermione cut him off, "We know the truth. Please, sir, you must believe us."

"I do, Ms. Granger. But I'm sorry to say the word of four thirteen-year-old wizards will convince few others. A child's voice, however honest and true, is meaningless to those who have forgotten how to listen..." Dumbledore explained.

"Ah... a shooting star... if ever one was to make a wish, now would be the time. But time, I'm afraid, is precisely our problem..." the midnight bell began to chime... "Mysterious ting... time. Powerful. And, when meddled with... dangerous. Sirius Black is in the topmost cell of the Dark Tower." Then turned to Hermione. "You know the laws, Ms Granger. You must not be seen. And you would, I feel, do well to return before this last chime. If not... well, the consequences are really to ghastly to discuss. Three turns should do it, I think. If you succeed, more than one innocent life may be spared tonight." Dumble dore hands Harry, Hermione and Carina each a stick of chocolate, then went to the door, he stopped. "By the way, when I doubt, I find retracing my steps to be wise place to begin... good luck." He smiled then finally left with the doors closed.

Harry and Carina shared a confused look, they both turned to their chocolates.

"What the bloody hell was all that about?" Ron asked.

None of them replied. Hermione got out a long chain and placed it around Harry and Carina's neck, as well as her own.

"Sorry, Ron. But you can't walk." Hermione said.

Hermione held a pendant between her fingers. Harry reached to touch the pendant, but his hand was smacked away by Hermione. She pressed the pendant thrice, and the loops that surrounded the hour glass turned thrice as well. Then time reversed in a dizzying blur. It showed the occurrences in the Hospital Wing in reverse/ as the sun un-sets, returning to its place low on the horizon. The time reversal ends an the room is empty, except for Harry, Hermione and Carina. As Hermione unlooped the necklace, Harry and Carina glanced at each other in confusion.