Chapter 60

"Carina?"

Carina jumped at the sudden call. She turned to Maisie, who sat across from her. Carina simply gave Maisie a smile, she got off the window she was leaning on and simply looked out at the fast movement of the scene before them Hogwarts Express moved.

"Yes, Maisie?" Carina asked.

"Is there any particular reason as to why you asked me to sit with you when I can simply spend the remaining time I had with Astoria?" Maisie gave Carina a teasing smile.

Carina chuckled lightly.

"Nothing... can't I spend a train ride back home with my favorite cousin?" Carina said.

She then motioned Maisie to join to sit beside her. Maisie rolled her eyes but went to sit beside Carina anyway. Carina opened her arm out for Maisie and pulled the blond girl in to a side hug.

"What's wrong with you?" Maisie asked with confusion.

"Nothing... I just realized that I haven't spent much time with you." Carina said. "Nor have I thanked you."

"For what?"

"For being there for me when I... lost my dad."

Maisie turned to Carina and saw the sincerity in her eyes. Maisie took Carina's free hand and held it.

"You don't have to thank me, Carrie." Maisie said. "I'd always be there for you... you know that."

"And, I'd always be there for you." Carina told Maisie.

"You're like my big sister." Maisie chuckled.

Carina smiled. She placed a kiss on Maisie's head and tightened her hug around her cousin.

"I have something for you." Carina said.

"What is it?" Maisie asked

Carina took off her arm around Maisie and went to reach something from her hair. Once it was off, Carina held, in her hands, the gold and red diadem of the Goldstein family.

"Aunt Emmanuelle's diadem?" Maisie asked.

"The Goldstein family heirloom." Carina said.

"You're giving it to me? Why?"

"Because you're a Goldstein – you're the eldest Goldstein... and this is rightfully yours." Carina said.

Carina had Maisie turn away from her and then placed the diadem at the back of the blond girl's head where it fit perfectly. Maisie turned once more to Carina.

"Are you going to spend Christmas with us?" Maisie asked.

"Yeah... I miss home... I miss spending Christmas with you..." Carina said.

"I miss you too."

"Listen." Carina said, "If you ever need me... all you have to do is whisper to it – the diadem – and I will hear you... do you understand?"

"What?" Maisie asked with a raised brow.

"Just whisper... and I promise to come to you." Carina said.

"I'd prefer Roman to be my knight in shining armor." Maisie teased.

"Unfortunately, he's busy doing stupid stuff." Carina said, "Besides, Roman is not the type to be a 'knight in shining armor'... he's more of a wild guy... furry... and I'm sure he carries flees too."