Chapter 57

November 25th came around the corner and Carina had never felt more glad that she was finally in that age where she can use magic outside of Hogwarts without the trace or the fear of getting expelled, and that she was finally an adult. She was woken from her slumber by Hermione singing 'happy birthday'. It became a tradition to Hermione to wake her at her birthday singing that song. Of course, Carina had no other choice but to get up and face Hermione with her messy hair.

Of course, Carina had received gifts from her friends and family – even though she told them not to get her anything. Hermione got her an every journal or was it a planner; Harry and Ron shared a gift and got her a little trinket in a shape of a dog ("When will the dog jokes stop?" Carina asked, "Never." They said); Maisie got her one of her favorite small cakes from Hogsmeade – cheesecake; Lupin owled his gift which was a hair pin with a beautiful ornament and a letter saying happy birthday and how he wished to have celebrated with her, and how Sirius and Emmanuelle were proud of her now that she was finally an adult; Tonks and her family also sent their via owl, it was a letter and a necklace, a Black heirloom that Andromeda got, and the woman believed that it was best to give it to the next Black heir which was her ("It is a Black family heirloom, I am giving it to you because it is only right for you to own it, considering that you are the last Black" Carina read the letter, "That was straightforward." Hermione said); Tom and Charity also sent theirs via owl, it was a key, with it was a letter saying happy birthday and that the key was the key to the house at the hill where Carina could live in if she wanted, but she was still welcomed to live with them if she liked ("That's great, now you get a place for yourself!" Ron said); Theodore gave her a book from his family's collection believing that it might interest her ("I read it a dozen times, it's really good"); then Roman, who discretely gave her the gift, in fear that the others would see, gave her a small notebook that held all of his drawings and a couple of them were portraits of her from their first year up to present, and there was a drawing of their Animagus forms running in the Forbidden Forest whilst Theodore, the peregrine falcon flew above the dog and the wolf ("I remember you bugging me back at second year about this, so I thought of giving it to you as a present on your seventeenth birthday." Roman told her).

"These are really good, Roman." Hermione said as she looked through Roman's gift for Carina.

"I believe the only one who can look at these is Carina." Roman said, blushing in embarrassment as Harry, Ron and Hermione looked though the notebook.

"Let them have their fun." Carina smiled, "Besides, they're right. Those are good – where did you even learn how to draw?"

"I just did." Roman shrugged.

"How many portraits of Carina do you even have?" Ron asked.

Roman blushed even more.

"It's a time-capsule thing showing how she had grown since first year!" Roman exclaimed.

"Just asking." Ron said.

But after that, Carina's day went on swimmingly and just before dinner, she had practice with the Gryffindor Quidditch team for their coming match, and after that it was just a normal day. Well, not quite normal since it was one of those nights when Slughorn had invited them for some desert or after dinner meal.

"Come on." Hermione dragged Carina out of bed to get dressed. "Slughorn's waiting... you heard what he said, he wants you there because it's your birthday!"

"The best present he could give me is letting me not go!" Carina said.

"Get up!" Hermione ordered.