Chapter 24

The sun was already setting when they arrived at Platform 9 ¾ . Ron immediately left with his family after saying good-bye to his friends, Hermione too had gone when she saw her parents. Harry gave Carina a hug before he too left. It was just Roman and Carina.

"I haven't seen Theodore – where do you think he is?" Carina asked.

"Dunno, he probably left with his father." Roman shrugged.

There was silence between the two.

"Carina," Roman began, "listen... I..."

"What?" Carina asked.

Roman sighed.

"Promise to write?"

"Of course!" Carina said.

Roman smiled. Carina held out her fist for Roman, but Roman stared at it for a moment before he clasped his hand around it, confusing Carina, and pulled her towards him, and out of impulse, Roman placed a short and soft peck on Carina's cheek. After pulling away, Roman bid goodbye to Carina with a teasing salute then left with his parents, leaving a shocked Carina.

"What's gotten with you?"

Maisie came behind Carina. Carina jumped and greeted her cousin – who she had not seen most this year.

"Nothing..." Carina said.

"Your face is red." Maisie pointed out.

"Really?" Carina said, "Well, your hair is blonde."

Maisie had a confused look but shrugged. They looked around to spot for Tom and Charity around the platform, but it wasn't until half an hour have passed did they saw Charity standing by the exit of Platform 9 ¾. And it was just Charity.

"Mum!" Maisie hugged her mother.

"Maisie!" Charity hugged her daughter and kissed her. It was clear that Charity had heard of Voldemort's return and was worried for her daughter. Charity then turned to Carina and brought her to the hug as well.

"Let's go home." Charity said to them.

"Hold on, where's Dad?" Maisie asked.

"He's busy, sweetheart." Charity gave her daughter a smile, then she turned to Carina and gave her a bigger smile, "He'll be home by the time we're there and he had a surprise for you."

Carina had a confused look her face, but just followed Charity.

•†•

Night came when they finally arrived at the Goldstein Household. Carina and Maisie pulled their trunks and carried their things as they entered the house.

"Dad! We're home!" Maisie called out.

"Uncle Tom?" Carina called out when the man did not answer.

From the kitchen, came Tom, his dark brown hair had grown longer and had a few graying streaks. He still wore his Auror clothes, which was unusual since he never wore his work clothes at home.

"Girls!" Tom greeted them.

The man hugged the two girls and kissed their heads.

"I missed you!" Tom laughed, but his laughter was empty and Carina caught that.

After their hug, Carina looked at her uncle with concern.

"Uncle Tom... what's wrong?" Carina asked.

Tom sighed, he ran his fingers through his hair.

"There is nothing wrong, Miss Black."

From the kitchen, Dumbledore came out still wearing the robes he wore when he told them about Cedric before they left Hogwarts. Carina and Maisie gasped at the sight of the Headmaster. They were not expecting to see him in their home.