Chapter 26

The following day, Tom and Sirius ignored each other and only acknowledge each other when needed be. It was awkward for Charity and the girls, it was as if they had to take a side, but they knew that I would just worsen the situation. On the second day, an owl came from Dumbledore, saying that he would come to take Sirius to Grimmauld Place personally the following day, midnight. It only allowed Sirius to pack his things shortly – but given that he had only so little to no things, he didn't quite need to pack, instead, he helped Carina to pack.

"You got your trunk ready?" Sirius asked.

"Yes." Carina nodded.

"Books?"

"I still don't have the list, Dad. They won't come until next month."

"Right... well how about an extra jumper, then, or a scarf?"

"Got it all packed."

"What about this?" Sirius held out the doll that Carina would sleep with every night.

"Oh, right, sorry." Carina took the doll and placed it in her purse that they had placed an Extension Charm.

"Now, before we leave..." Sirius sighed, "I want you to apologize to your Uncle."

Carina stayed silent.

"I will." She muttered.

"It's only right, dear." Sirius sighed, "I'm sure it hurt him when you chose me over him."

"But you're my dad!"

"But he raised you..." Sirius reluctantly said, "And this is his house, so it's only right."

Carina nodded. "Alright."

"Good. Now go." Sirius said, "And say good-bye to Maisie, you won't be seeing her until you go to Hogwarts."

Carina complied and left her room, leaving Sirius alone. Sirius sighed and sat down on the bed, it wasn't that long until a knock came to the door, Sirius called out 'it's open' then the person came in and climbs the stairs. To his surprise it was Tom that came. Sirius got up from the bed to acknowledge Tom.

"Tom." He said.

"Sirius." Tom said back. "Carina apologized earlier – I believe it was your doing?"

"Even if I didn't tell her to, she would still have apologized. Where is she now?"

"At Maisie's room, saying goodbye, and I heard them saying about giving Fred the cat one last scare before she leaves." Tom chuckled at the last part. There was a long pause before he spoke again. "I came to give this to you." He handed Sirius a narrow chest, locked with a key. "I believe you would be needing it..."

With the key that hung with a chain attached to the chest, Sirius opened the it and saw a beautiful wand. He remembered this wand, its smooth cherry wood that had a small design of two rings with the texture of scales, and then at the part of its holder was a dragon carved all around it. It was a beautiful wand to Sirius, a treasure worth more than gold.

"Emmanuelle." Sirius smiled at the sight of the wand.

"I was able to find it – I hid it and thought that maybe Carina would like to have it, but I thought that maybe she would prefer to have experience the whole wand-choosing at Ollivander..." Tom said. "Cherry wood with a Dragon heartstring core, twelve inches... I hope it would fit you."

Sirius took the wand from the chest, he caressed the smooth surface of the wand to its carvings and held it with his right hand. He thought of a spell to try the wand, then he remembered.