Chapter 69

Carina stared at her bare room. The photos that hung at the wall were all kept in a chest, and along with the other sentimental things she had. She had placed a spell on it to keep it safe then apparated it to the hill where it was hidden under the floorboard. Her eyes gazed to her bed, the very same bed she had since she was little and the bed she shared with Sirius when he hid with them for about two weeks.

"Carina..."

Carina turned at the sound of Maisie calling her.

"Yeah?" Carina asked.

"Roman's here." Maisie said.

Behind Maisie came Roman. Maisie left the two of them and went back to the nursery where her brothers were. Roman went to Carina, he looked around her room and saw it stripped aside from the band posters, he smiled at the sight of The Beatles poster at the wall, it reminded him of his Muggle-side.

"You did a lot of work." Roman mused.

"I hid them at the hill." Carina said. "It's safe there."

"You were always the sentimental type." Roman chuckled. "Are you ready to go?

"Is everyone here then?"

"Just waiting for Mundungus." Roman said, "Moody's getting cranky about it."

"I could imagine." Carina smiled.

"Where's your necklace?" Roman asked.

"I have it with me." Carina raised her mother and father's wedding-bands.

Roman sighed. "Not that."

"I'm not going to wear it." Carina said defensively.

"You are and you will." Roman said, he opened the dresser and saw the necklace laying under her clothes. He took the necklace and went to put it on her.

"I don't want it." Carina said in a whisper.

"You have to wear it." Roman said. "It will protect you."

"I don't want his protection." Carina's voice croaked.

"But you need it." Roman said.

Carina was forced to let Roman put the necklace around her, he had moved her hair – that grew a few inches for the past two months –aside and placed the necklace on her chest and locked it at behind. He heard a sob coming from Carina as he fixed her hair once more. He made her face him and then saw her tear stained face. He sighed, at her state. He reached up to wipe the tears off her face with his thumb, and rested his hand at where it was.

"So... this is how it feels..." Carina said.

"Yes..." Roman muttered.

"And I hate myself for it – for making you feel this."

"Don't be." Roman said. "You have to wear this... it protected you before and it will continue to protect you..."

"Why? Why would he do this?" Carina asked.

"Because he cares for you." Roman said in a whisper. "He... loves you, Carina.

"And I hate him for that." Carina said. "... how come you don't have one, if he cares so much why don't you have one?"

"I gave mine to Maisie at the night of the siege – that's why Bellatrix's curse worked on me..." Roman said.

The sound of footsteps climbing the stairs caught their attention. Roman removed his hold on Carina's face and simply stood before her. Hermione came up from the stairs and saw the two very close to each other.