Crescent 2: The boy on the shore

"The Path to Allah...There's no hopelessness on this path...

Sometimes, determination is all that is needed to change the course of an entire lifetime... "

(Hilya's Diary)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The nations of the Eastern world were diverse. A myriad cultures, beliefs, and politics bloomed everywhere. The lands mostly seemed at peace with one another; civilization and learning prospered. Such were the lands in the East for about a hundred years now.

Among the nations in the East was one – a Muslim nation that seemed to stand at the heart of the land, and reigned supreme, as if no other power could match it.

It was called Qalb-ul-Arḍ. 

Culture, economics and knowledge flourished here

Seven provincial cities with many towns spread about, comprised the main structure of this nation, and included the capital–the renowned Madinatu-Anwâr, formally called the City Nûn.

The most spectacular grand palace of the monarchy was located here: Ath-Thurayya. It was said, in all the Eastern world, no ruler's abode could compare!

In these lands, the advancement of science, as well as all other forms of secular knowledge played an important role, leading the forefront to the future, as it sided with the knowledge of the Dîn.
Such was the City Tâ Hâ, the farthest of the seven provincial cities to the south –the only city on an isle.

Commonly known as Madinatu-Asghar, this Isle consisted of four districts; North, East, South, and West.

The North district was more of a working region with a fishing niche, principal market, and port.
The West district had the fortress of the native tribes, a principal hospital and the City hall of the council.

The South and East districts together made up the central part of the entire city.
It was a bustling metropolitan region with all the characteristic features of a blooming city.

•••

Far out to the southeastern shore of the island, a young boy in his late teens sat on the greenery of the meadows, overlooking the azure sea in its meeting with the cerulean horizon in the far distance. The meadow was upon a cliff which had its sides tapering into a shingle beach and sand dunes.
A bay further formed to the west of where the boy sat, so near he had a bird's eye view of everything down below.

Yet, this youth was not there to enjoy the great view and the ocean breeze. Sitting arched back, supported by his left hand, he held an opened Holy Qur'an in the other.

The pocket-sized book looked particularly old, yet neat. Had it been in the hands of another, it would have been completely worn out from the excessive use. But it was kept well by the owner.