Crescent 17: Ikrâm opens the doors of hearts(3)

Arkaan watched as the lukewarm boy exited the room, taking the path to the backyard. He followed him.

"Woah!" Arkaan exclaimed, seeing the piebald white and black horse secured within a stable behind.

There was a free space there, with a high wall demarcating the building from beyond. Arkaan knew there were no other line of houses after theirs. It led to the furthermost tributary of River Kawthar, beyond which was a line of houses, and then a graveyard.

The backyard had a stable, and a vegetable garden, and a lawn, with pavements in a pattern. Since there was no border between the two conjoined apartments, it was quite spacious.

Ukashah changed into a more lighter shirt, a navy blue henley. Taking two wooden swords hidden within the hay for the horse, he threw one over to Arkaan, who caught it perfectly. "Wow! You got swords hidden on the backyard. I'm amazed, Ukashah. Which era are we?"Arkaan joked.

Ukashah raised an eyebrow. Before Arkaan knew it, his opponent's wooden sword was almost upon him. Instinctively, he blocked.

"Your reflexes are good." Ukashah laughed, for the first time since he came.

Arkaan opened his eyes to see his own hands outstretched, with his wooden sword for defence. His heart was beating rapidly, "Heyyy, that was an uninformed attack, no fair!"

He quickly made to strike back, with Ukashah dodging elegantly, like he's practised it so many times.

Arkaan changed into his light cotton undershirt, placing his white thobe upon the lawn. Man! There was going to be a lot of sweat, but he was going to vent his morning's anger here, in swordfight.

Even though Arkaan wasn't good at swordfight to Ukashah's level, he had read a lot of books on it. He also had learnt some skills under some of his grandfather's guards, in order to master defence.

Grandfather had wanted me to learn at least defence because, in the world today, there are some countries that deal with the sword in any conflict, like - The Country of Sulaymân, the most lagging country in development in our world. Arkaan laughed. Didn't know it'd come in handy today, or I'd be a sitting duck to Ukashah.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Nothin'.."

The fight continued for a long while, till the boys were soaking wet. As they sat down to rest, Ukashah retrieved two bottles of water, handing one over to Arkaan.

"I heard what happened today."

Of course, Mother Ashyaa had told him before he came in. That's why he didn't ask.

"I don't know how to comfort people. But I do know that, whenever I'm low, I can either read the Qur'an or practise swordfighting. Both relieve the stress."Ukashah continued, facing the stars.

It wasn't that he didn't care, he just didn't know how to help, Arkaan thought, suddenly understanding the cold boy's previous behaviour. But do I really need people to be trying to cheer me up every time I'm down?
Perhaps I should rather be the one doing this for others, after all, it's much better to be at the giving, than the receiving end.

He looked over at the quiet Ukashah who was still staring up the stars, completely lost in their beautiful constellations, or perhaps, some thoughts of his own.

"You know, most people would say you're aloof." Arkaan said, laughing, "I just think you burden your mind with more than it should bear. Just be yourself. With all that you've learnt in Qur'an and hadith, I guess you should have an answer for every situation by now, no matter what."