CHAPTER 2

Renleigh Kensington

Shouting at employees didn't make me feel satisfied, it made me feel like an absolute cunt. I didn't like doing it but sometimes, it was very much needed. There was only so much I could handle, especially after I ran my mouth for a good hour or so and no progress was made. Everyone I hired was there to gain success, to work their arses off and in order receive their money for it. Their tasks were easy seeing as everyone was trained for whatever they were employed for and therefore there was little to absolutely no room for mistakes.

I didn't fuck around, either.

If someone didn't complete their jobs, messed around and about and failed to meet the requirements of their roles, I more than happily let go of them. There were many more skilful and qualified people in this world who would have loved to take their places. I was quite strict with my employees, I never crossed the line with them where they could have felt like we were friends. I was their boss, I was the reason they had jobs. If I would have let go of that act, even just a little bit, they would have gotten out of control.

Then, they think it's okay to call in sick. Then, they think it's okay to be late. Then, they think they can half-ass their jobs.

That is something I cannot afford, something that this company cannot afford.

Employees may be here to make friends, I am not. I am here to make money, I am here to gain success, I am here to stay on top of the rank where everyone is so desperate to push me off of.

Like Harry Styles.

He was one of the most persistent of them all.

"Miss Kensington, your five o'clock meeting had been cancelled due to a delayed flight. Mr Malik would like to reschedule," my assistant filled me in once she was inside my office.

"Do I have any free time between tomorrow and the day after?" I questioned.

"No, Miss. The next two days are filled."

"I'm afraid there's no room for another appointment, then," was my final answer regarding this topic.

This client of mine had done this before. He flew in from Los Angeles, most of the time anyway, and when he couldn't make it in time, it was always the same excuse. The only reason why I still gave him my precious time was because he was an important asset to my company. When he fucked me over like this, I usually made him wait for his next opportunity and like the good little client he was, he did so. He never ditched – although, the contract that he signed most likely helped in this case too.

"Anything else?"

"Yes. Your half eleven meeting is soon and the client had arrived early," she told me with a small smile.

"Ah, right. Who is it?" I asked. It was ten past eleven, twenty minutes until the meeting. 

"Mister Horan from Horan and Rose," she let me know. "Would you like to start early?"

"Do I have anything else after this?"

"Work wise, considering that Mr Malik had to cancel, no. However, you do have a late lunch with your brother that we fitted in just before your meeting with said person."

"Alright. Send him in, please, Danielle," I gave her a smile and she nodded.

My knowledge of Mr Horan and his business was basic. I knew he was known for his events. I, myself, had a new collection coming out soon which made me think if he wanted this meeting to happen in case I was on the look for someone to work with.