CHAPTER 84

a.n. don't forget to comment and vote

• • •

Renleigh Kensington

1 YEAR LATER: MAY 2020

Sometimes I wondered if I had 'stupid' written over my forehead or if people just assumed that I was. Other times, it very much felt like I spoke to a damn wall because the orders requested somehow all seemed to be done wrong.

All this time, I patiently waited for when I will say this but goddamn, I missed my London bunch a fuck ton.

I mean, how hard is it to follow step-by-step instructions? Not that hard, right? Yet my new employees—god bless those few who decided to take up on the opportunity to come and work for me in New York—were just thick. That was it. I didn't even feel bad for saying that. They were fucking stupid or perhaps they just acted that way, thinking it would get them out of the shit they had to do.

Whatever it was, my stress levels were sky high and I had no idea how these people managed to get through the selection process or how I was going to have anything done by the deadlines given.

One of the supervisors thankfully decided to come to New York with me so at least I had them to help me out with these lost souls. Usually, I was all for new comers. I enjoyed the fresh talent I could squeeze out of them but this bunch... I wasn't that invested in who got hired, I let the team deal with it, but from what I saw, there were a few who graduated from universities like Harvard and Yale. So, I genuinely did wonder how they still managed to fuck up the tasks they were given.

Oh, how I knew this if I wasn't directly working with them or present at the interviews? I ensured that all the managers were people I knew from London. This meant I already had a great work relationship with them and I could trust them to do their work. And because I trusted them that much, I felt a little disappointed when the new employees came through and performed so awfully.

Then I had to remind myself that not all of them were experienced and they didn't roll the way I wanted them to or the way my other employees did and so stressing over this was just going to make me go insane. When I needed a bit of reminder of this, I sent Danielle an email to check in on what was happening back home. Taking employees with me meant that I had to fill in the spots that became available and although it took me almost a month to find the candidates who I knew I could trust and I could leave in an already established workplace, I thought I did quite good. Especially for someone who had never really done that part of the operation. It was mainly for my own peace of mind—I wanted to be the one to help with the final staff so I could make sure my business didn't end up in shambles.

Speaking of which, when I got back the files I wanted, for a second, I really believed that it would happen. I pinched my nose with my fingers once I pushed my glasses up on my head and took a deep breath.

They're only just starting out. You did things wrong yourself when you were in their shoes. It's not the end of the world. Calm down.

Pep talks became my only anchor, the thing that calmed me down before I was out of my office in an instant and down the corridor to find the employee at fault.

"Mike, is it?" I asked the man in the navy suit. He nodded swiftly and swallowed nervously. "Hi," I smiled at him extra sweetly, to the point where it was fake. "Would you mind going over this for me? Just to ensure there are no mistakes."

"Miss Kensington, I have made sure there were no mis-,"

"Ah!" I moved my hand up, my index finger in his face as I interrupted him.