CHAPTER 37

Harry Styles

My head was a mess for two days now and there was nothing that made me feel better. When people said space and time helps, they fucking bullshited because all it did was frustrate me further. To the point, where I couldn't deal with it on my own anymore and therefore had to reach out for help.

That was where Levi came in and his idea of the pub as a hang out place.

I went there after work in work attire which made me look out of place but the thought of having to go home to change and then come back to town was too much effort. I forced a smile on my face when my eyes locked on the waiter and he nodded towards me then let out a heavy sigh as I grabbed my glass, filled with the deep red coloured cider. The lights in the pub reflected off of my Rolex as I lifted the drink to my lips and took a sip then looked down at my watch to realise my best friend was five minutes late.

I held my phone up so I could unlock it through the face recognition option as opposed to typing my password in and clicked on my texts. The folder was empty so it made no sense as to why I opened it. Then again, the slight hope that Kensington would reach out did light on fire at the back of my mind. She was terrible at that.

In a way, I felt bad for what I told her a couple of days ago in her office but in reality, that was the truth. That was how I felt and she had to know. Everyone had doubts and that did not excuse me from having them. With someone as unpredictable and hard to read as her, I was bound to feel this way sooner or later.

What felt like the cherry on top was her reaction to it all. She looked upset and sort of offended but that was really only for a split second which I could have missed with literally one blink. She recollected herself fast and it felt like one of the walls I have successfully got rid of these past couple of weeks, began to build back up again. For now, it was a thin base but I wondered how long it would take her to finish it.

I jolted in my seat when I heard the chair that was across from me move then a leather wallet was thrown on the table. A pair of hands leaned on the hard surface with a massive watch around one of their wrists. The familiar cologne fanned my face with the sudden gust of air that his arrival stirred up and I found myself taking a deep breath as my eyes travelled up to his slightly flushed face.

"Mate, I'm so sorry," he began. "I left my phone home then I had to go back to get it to realise my wallet was on the table, too, then there was traffic," Levi explained and I nodded to show it was alright and I understood.

"It's fine, don't worry about it," I said. "Did you order anything?"

"No... fuck, I'll just do it through the app. I'm driving, anyway," he shrugged as he got out his phone to place his order. "So, tell me what's up."

"Eh, just a bunch of shit piled up on my shoulders..."

"Oh, yeah? I reckon that's with everyone around here," he chuckled and kept his eyes on his phone. He asked me what table we sat at then thanked me when I mumbled a quiet six. Soon enough, he was done with it and locked it before he placed it facing down. "Is it work stuff? Renleigh stuff?"

"I guess you could say both," I rubbed my eye with the heel of my palm which caused me to see stars then ran my hand through my hair. "Plus... someone pretty close to me passed away as well so that's been fucking me up a bit."

"Shit, that's... I'm so sorry, pal, I didn't know... are you okay? How are you dealing with it?"

"Eh. The funeral is on Sunday."

"Three days from now... damn. Do you want me to go with you? You know, moral support and all," he offered and I inhaled deeply. Kensington was meant to come with me.