CHAPTER 9

Harry Styles

Women were frustrating.

No, not all women. That was a bit too generalised.

Kensington was frustrating. And she just so happened to be a woman.

Her mind worked in a way that was strange to me and it sparked up my attention so much that – no matter how much she frustrated me – I desired to figure it all out. There was a strong feeling in me that caused me to believe no one had done that to her before. She just seemed way too closed off and too much work for someone to get to know her layer by layer.

For some reason, she seemed to be harder to deal with than my own business.

"Sir, Mr Horan is here to see you. Shall I send him in?"

"As far as I knew, we didn't have a meeting scheduled for today."

"It seems as though he has something rather important to tell you," Charlotte, my other assistant, told me. Niall had the tendency to show up unannounced and it didn't bother me on days where there was not much to do, however, with this project I had been working on with a very important brand it was kind of a shitty time for him to come around.

"Alright," I sighed in the end. There was not one bone in my body that would have turned him away. He was a friend. If he would have been anyone else, I would have said no. "Send him in, please, Miss Greenall."

"Of course."

Whilst she went to get the Irish man, I clicked out of all the emails and saved the documents I had open. My iMac that sat neatly on my office desk then turned into sleep mode and displayed a photo of me with my siblings from the time I had taken them to Disneyland in Paris.

When the door opened again, I looked up as my feet had taken me closer to the man who came to see me. He wore a suit which made me believe he came from work and the e-cig that popped out of his top pocket just confirmed it. He never smoked it during work, only after.

"How can I help you?" I asked with a smirk on my lips. We walked over the couch that was in my office, black leather to match the black and white aesthetic.

"Just swung by... you know, like friends do."

"What are you trying to say?" a low chuckle made my question less demanding.

"Haven't seen you since the event and you didn't exactly text me, either. I thought work got a bit too much and that's why you never called or anything then saw your assistants posting a few photos on Instagram with their location on and everything," he teased me as he wrapped his lips around the mouth of his e-cig. When he pressed down on the button to activate it, it made a soft click noise and so did the way he inhaled it.

"Yeah. Went to Italy for work. Got anything to say about it?"

"Fuck off," he laughed. "I know you met up with Kensington."

"How would you?" my eyebrows furrowed. As far as I knew, there was nothing in the media about her and I. My team always kept a look out for the news, there was a specific team just for that, and I had received zero news since my trip had ended.

"So, you did," he smirked as he got the answer he looked for. I should have known. He always fucking pulled that on me and I fell for it. Every motherfucking time. "You weren't even going to tell me about it, were you? Fucking bitch."

"Why would I talk about my private life at work?" he shrugged. "I don't mix the two, sorry mate."

"Come off it," Niall rolled his eyes as he inhaled the smoke again. I didn't mind it, whatever liquid he had in it, smelt nice. If it would have been a normal cig – which he didn't smoke – I would have been very pissed off. Not only was it illegal to smoke inside the building but it was also really fucking disgusting. "You're not working. Just tell us."