CHAPTER 6

Renleigh Kensington

I flew out to New York for three days where I attended a very promising meeting then arrived right in Italy. There was some business I had to look over in the European country and it was crucial for me to be present. To cut the story short: there were some problems with the shop that we opened there recently and with me being the big bad boss, I had to go there and sort it out.

My jetlag was an absolute bitch so once I spoke to the store manager and we went through whatever was causing the trouble, I decided to book a hotel room and have a nap. I went straight from the airport to the store, with my luggage in the car – same with Danielle – and I could have easily flown back to London, I just wouldn't have been able to handle the plane journey.

The next time my eyes were opened, my loud breathing was all I heard in the hotel room. I felt sticky and hot, the sweat caused by the nightmare I went through was all around my hairline, down my back and pooled on the back of my neck.

My legs kicked off the white quilt that weighed me down and kept me warm during my unconscious state. I pushed my hair up as my head lifted off of the pillow and then laid back down without it being under my neck and making me feel hot. I was in a t-shirt and shorts and I smelled like sweat.

I quickly gathered my stuff and went for another shower because I couldn't stay in bed any longer. As my hands got rid of my clothes whilst the shower ran in the back, I noticed the dark circles under my eyes and how my cheekbones poked out. The top I wore, eventually revealed my bony shoulders and collarbones that were even more visible than usual.

The water was cold as I stood under it with my eyes closed and hands on my waist. I needed to wake-up and get my shit together. I no longer had a reason to stay in Italy, I had to get back home and into my leather chair at the company to go through the emails I had.

Three days away from my office and I felt like I missed a whole month.

I had perfectly fine, skilled and smart employees keeping the world going around whilst I wasn't in the picture however I felt lazy. I felt like I didn't do anything during those three days in New York. Sure, the meeting was important and it opened up many doors for my business, it wasn't actual paperwork that I had gotten done.

Networking for me was like wasting time.

I made my employees do that for me. Danielle, for example, was absolutely wonderful at chatting clients up and getting them to come for a meeting with me. Then again, that woman was bloody amazing at everything.

She was more than an assistant. Technically, she could have been the CEO instead of me at this point. She knew the business and every one of our clients like the back of her hand, she was clever and cut for this life. If there was anyone I had to leave my company with, it definitely would have been her.

Without a doubt in my mind.

The cold shower indeed woke me up and motivated me to sit on the bed and get a head start on those emails. I haven't had the chance to open them whilst I was in America and since everyone I travelled with was most likely still sleeping, I decided it was the perfect time.

A soft knock on my door stopped me from finishing the heated email to this client of mine.

"Miss Kensington?" the lady asked with a kind smile as soon as the door opened up.

"How can I help?" I asked without masking the confusion in my voice.

"I have been told you arrived here from a very important and stressful meeting and your lovely friend booked a massage for you. I am here to let you know about it and also take you down to our lovely facility."