CHAPTER 7

Harry Styles

A reply to my email never came. Usually, I wasn't so bothered when I didn't get an email back and it wasn't to do with business. Sometimes, that was the only way to interact with my family and so when they didn't reply, I was fine with it. They had their own lives to get to.

But with Kensington – yes, I did call her by her surname at all times – it was just annoying.

Why didn't she reply? Did she get my email? Was she going to decline? Was she going to accompany me? Was she hurt by what happened the last time we saw each other? Was she still mad?

Why didn't she fucking reply?

But then it all made sense. It really bloody did. Because the minute the revolving doors moved and revealed a body a few meters away from me, all the stupid questions seemed crack to pieces and evaporate in my mind.

In that moment, I didn't think of her as my competition. In that moment, I didn't think of her as someone who I wanted to kick out of the way in the business world. In that moment, I didn't think of all the times I told myself and everyone around me how I would never get with someone like her.

In that moment, I thought of how stunning she looked. In that moment, I thought of how glad I was to have had convinced her somehow to come along. In that moment, I thought of everything but the negatives.

She wore a champagne coloured dress. Thin straps held it on her body as the piece hung from her shoulders, the material had flown into a deep V cut cleavage. Just under her breasts, it looked like the dress was pinned from one side to the other which gave it some texture other than it being satin. Her long legs were exposed more than usual as the cross revealed perhaps a little too much.

Around her neck, she wore a golden necklace that I have never not seen on her as well as a couple of gold rings and earrings. She had her makeup done nice and her hair casually let down. It was a little chilly but nothing too bad that would have required her to have a big ass coat on. Regardless, it matched well with her outfit therefore that must have been the whole reason behind it.

Seeing her in that fit, made me feel less like I overdressed. Obviously, the restaurant we were going to go to was pretty up there in terms of poshness and it did require us to dress nicely. I had a black suit on that had dark designs embroidered in it and a same coloured shirt. My shoes matched my look in terms of colour, too.

I didn't want to turn up in one of my colourful suits in case that clashed with her outfit. What the fuck, Harry? Trust me, I know. It felt strange to care so much about it, mostly because I never did when it came to my look not matching someone else's, but there was nothing I could have done.

"You came," I smirked at her once she walked over to the car.

"It seems like I did, indeed," she nodded as her eyes looked up and down my outfit. She didn't even try to hide the fact that she checked me out but it didn't bother me. If anything, it fed my ego that she even found it in herself to form an opinion. Whether that was positive or negative, it didn't matter.

"Shall we leave, then?" I asked ironically as I stepped to the side and opened the door for her. My right hand stretched towards her, I offered to help and much to my surprise, she accepted it. Carefully, she put one leg after the other until she got safely in the car and I closed it on her.

Whew.

The journey to the restaurant was quiet. Not forced, however. That felt nice because I didn't like uncomfortable silence. It was very strange. In any other situation, I knew she would have exploded on me for whatever reason. Tonight, was truly surprising for me.