CHAPTER 56

Renleigh Kensington

The launch of the new line was crazy. The rush that came with the process was something that I have terribly missed. The attention and success that Kensington and Co. gained was everything I hoped it would bring. From the launch party to the fashion show, it all worked out perfectly and not only gave me what I wanted but it also managed to do its bits for Zayn Malik. It all seemed to be going too good for someone like me. I knew there was going to be something that will make it all go wrong. If it wasn't going to affect my work directly, then it was going to fuck with me and I wasn't sure if I was prepared for either.

It was a week into the new year but that didn't mean any less work to get done. If anything, it meant more. Which was why I hadn't left my chair since seven am and it was now around two pm.

"Miss Kensington," my PA made an appearance in my office as I sent off the email I read over twice.

"Liam, please, have a seat," I sighed as I leaned back in my chair and took my bottle of water with me.

"Thank you," he said. "I'm here to let you know the invitations for the charity event have been sent out and they should be with the individuals by tomorrow. Furthermore, Vogue and GQ are still waiting on the approval of the interview date they sent, they would like to know by tomorrow if you are able to do it."

"Fabulous for the invitations and hold out on the final answer for the interviews," I said. "What time do they need to know it by?"

"Ten am, Miss."

"Send the confirmation from any time after half nine."

"I would advise a little earlier... in case something went wrong?" he suggested and I looked at him with my eyebrows raised. "With all due respect, Miss Kensington, I think it would be best if you confirmed it now."

"Why is that?" I asked him, interested in what he had to say. I liked challenging my employees, I got the best out of them this way. They worked for me because they knew I pushed their buttons to be the best of themselves. There were incidents where some left because they couldn't handle the pressure but that number was low.

"I just believe it is best if these things are confirmed in time."

"You see, Liam, I like to keep my clients waiting," I told him. "It makes them want it more. The thought of them fearing that I might back out last minute with some lame excuse, perhaps not take their offer at all, brings me the power and confidence I need to know I have a place in this industry, you know? Knowing that they want to work with me for the right reasons – not just to brag about me agreeing to give them an interview to other colleagues or companies – is all that matters to me. I don't associate with success climbers, braggers... you name it, they are out there."

"That makes sense," he nodded. Sometimes, our little chats got a bit casual, which I didn't exactly mind but Liam was smart. He always bounced back quickly. He reminded me a lot of Danielle. Although, that could have been due to the fact that I trained Danielle myself, straight out of university. "On the other hand, not work related, although it does include Mr Malik – you had been invited to his birthday party on Saturday."

"Are you and Miss Jones on the guestlist?"

"Yes," he nodded.

"Great. Count me in," I let him know. "Is there a specific theme?"

"I'm assuming it's going to be a high-profile event. After all, he is in your circle of people."

"Way to make it sound snobby, Mr Payne," I laughed at him and he chuckled. "Alright. I'll have a suit ready for you and a dress ready for Miss Jones. Your size shouldn't have changed, right?"