CHAPTER 36

Renleigh Kensington

'Get back to work gradually.'

'Try and not take up as much responsibility as you have before.'

'Lean on us, Miss Kensington.'

'Keep to your hours – nine till five. No earlier no later.'

I was fed up. Of everyone's bullshit. Renleigh, do this. Renleigh, do that. But Renleigh, don't do that! I couldn't catch my breath without someone bossing me, the boss, around. Obviously, they just wanted to look out for me and I appreciated that but it annoyed me at the same time. I knew what I could do and what I couldn't. I felt fine.

I now had breaks at work, though. Which was honestly unnecessary. What was I meant to do for an hour? Who needed an hour-long lunch? Definitely not me. My brother must have sensed my need to cry in boredom because he called me the minute my break was due to start.

"I haven't heard from you in a while, Renny," he told me and I hummed in response. That was pretty spot on. I haven't seen or talked to him in a long time. I just didn't have time. Or if I did, then he didn't. "How have you been?"

"Alive, for the most part," I sighed. "What about you? How's uni?"

"Uni's fine. Can't wait to finish, though," he said. "You know what's so funny? Your man and I are the same age yet he's already a millionaire and here I am with a shit ton of debt over my head and still in education."

"Who's my man?" I asked back, a little laugh erupted from my chest as I patiently waited for his reply. I looked down at my wrist, a gold watch wrapped around it comfortably, the light that came in from behind me caused it to shine.

"Don't play a dumb bitch with me, Sage."

"I don't know anyone named Sage."

"Again, don't play a dumb bitch with me and also don't try to change up the subject," he smarted me out. So, maybe I didn't like my middle name. No one even knew I had one other than my family. Even I forgot about it because I ignored it for so long.

"Look, Styles and I are not together."

"Okay, tell me more lies, please."

"Fuck you, Brandon."

"Please, don't. I'm not sure about you but I am not into incest."

"Don't fucking call me if you just wanna be a smartass."

"I just want to know more about your man who is the same age as me yet in a much more comfortable situation."

"No, it sounds more like you want me to know more about this alleged man of mine," I sighed. "Go on. Tell me whatever you want."

"Okay. So, it kind of intrigued me as to how him and I are the same age and yet he's a millionaire and I barely have a tenner to my name," he began to ramble and I rolled my eyes at what he said already. "It turns out he was born in February and I'm September, right? So, obviously, I was held back a year and when I went to nursery, he was already in reception. Then, this girl I've been seeing was over and she-,"

"Hold on a minute," I laughed as I ignored everything he said until that last sentence. "The girl you've been seeing?"

"What girl seeing who?" he asked back as he tried to make me feel like a dumbass.

"Don't play a dumb bitch with me, Ellis."

"I don't know anyone named Ellis," he copied me from before and I snorted.