CHAPTER 48

Renleigh Kensington

Styles and I were the only ones back home after the dinner. My parents decided to stay out for longer and my aunt met up with some friends. She even dared to add that she might end up in a club, but she will text my dad to let him know about her whereabouts.

The dinner went surprisingly well. It didn't feel as awkward as my mind made me think it would, the conversation flew smoothly between the five of us. Styles seemed to have loosened up a little, he was less tense and seemed like he wasn't as out of it as he was before we left. During most of the night, his hand found a comfortable resting place on my thigh that was closest to him. That could have been to remind himself to stay focused or to show me he was there.

I guess it probably worked for both of us.

Even then, as I stood in the kitchen, two glasses of water in my hands, I still felt it. His touch. It burned into my skin. It felt warm, almost hot. There was no other way to describe it.

"Here," I said when I went back to the living room. We decided to just chill there since no one else was home. He sat on the sofa with his body sprawled out, his coat leaned on the back of the furniture with mine, my bag next to him as he paid attention to his phone.

"Thanks," he mumbled as he took the glass from me. I sat down next to him and kicked my heels off. I folded my legs under my bum and took a sip of my water. "So... I overheard your dad talking to you before."

"Oh... um, what did you hear?"

"Enough to know my standoffish behaviour ruined the first impression I was so desperate to make," he chuckled as he locked his phone and placed it face down on the space next to him.

"What makes you say that?"

"Your dad – Sam – clearly doesn't like me as much as your other dad does. He is... and I don't mean to offend him, but he is very, um, like you were the first few times we talked," he explained which made me curious. "He is very cold, I feel like. Hard to make his walls come down, you know."

"I guess that's what makes him a good lawyer," I said. Styles hummed whilst he put the glass on his stomach. I watched him from an upper angle, since he basically laid down on the couch, and the length of his eyelashes caught my attention again. Every time he blinked, I was ready for him to give in and just look up at me but it didn't happen. "So... before... you were kind of off."

"You could say that," he sighed. "I don't know what it was... m'sorry for being like that."

"No, it's- it's fine. I was just confused. So were my parents," I ran my finger along the mouth of the glass, again and again until I decided to glance at him. His eyes were already on my face. "You know, when you were in the shower, I was thinking..."

"Let's hear it," he encouraged me. "Only if you want to share it, of course."

"Hmmm... maybe I want to keep it going."

"Keep what going?" he asked, clueless. I placed my hand on the back of the couch and leaned my head against my palm after I put down my drink. My thumb pushed down the ring from my finger until it was on my knee and I rolled it around with my acrylic nail. Suddenly, it came to a stop and it was because Harry stopped the movement of the ring. "Kensington. Keep what going?"

"This," I nodded towards the space between us. When I looked back up at him, he raised his eyebrows curiously. "Whatever we do."

"Well..." he took a breath before he continued. "We kiss. Hold hands sometimes, which I wish we did all the time. We share some mind-blowing orgasms. We go on dates sometimes. Oh, and we definitely fight a lot. But not nearly as much as we drink wine."