CHAPTER 71

Harry Styles

I felt completely buzzed from the alcohol that ran through my system and at that point, it most likely replaced the blood in my veins, too. I wasn't one to frequently get high but I did enjoy it here and there. And considering that it was my birthday—even if the actual day was tomorrow—I decided to go all out and live it up a little.

A fit of giggles made my stomach hurt as I laid on the circular garden furniture. It was soft with all the pillows on it and comfortable, plus it was the perfect place to see everyone from. Well, everyone but my girlfriend. Who didn't like being called a girlfriend but I did anyway. It was funny when I said it because she always gave me a death stare and then rolled her eyes at me which happened because I laughed at her reaction.

But yeah. I couldn't see her anywhere and it made my eyebrows furrow as I tried to catch her in the crowd. I assumed she was with Zayn and Charlotte somewhere, maybe Niall or Levi. Or Niall's new girl or fuck buddy or whatever. I met her for a second and she seemed nice enough.

It was weird. Seeing my mates in a relationship. April had to have been the only one who stuck by their partner for the last four years and that was actually crazy. Toby got dumped just before the whole crew met Renleigh that one time, Niall and Levi have been fucking around and Ethan was just not arsed. He got in bed with anyone whenever he felt like he needed sex.

Speaking of which, I knew I needed it. I needed Renleigh. God, where was that woman? I haven't seen her since the cakes got cut and that was like... almost two hours ago.

But then I heard the loud cackle and I instantly grinned as I quickly sat up and my head whipped from side to side to find her. Only she was able to laugh so loudly. She was the only person I knew with that laugh. Then she finally appeared in my line of vision and I was not surprised to see her with Zayn. Both of them laughing and her barely being able to walk as she had a cocktail in hand. The model next to her worked as a crutch, he pretty much held her up as they walked towards me.

She looked insane tonight. I mean, she was always beautiful. But tonight... it was different. Maybe I was too high. Maybe I was too drunk. Maybe the mix of the both. Or it could have been the simple fact that my girl was wearing my dress for my birthday party.

My.

My.

My.

She wasn't a possession of mine, she wasn't a possession of anyone's but her own. Yet, I still felt this sense of protection over her. She was so cute and pretty and difficult at times, not to mention a little annoying when she didn't let me kiss her, but still, it was my job to protect her. Maybe from the people in her past, maybe from the people around us or maybe from the whole world in general.

"Happy birthday, handsome!" she kneeled on the seat and shouted at me with a massive grin on her face and I chuckled as I put my arms out and held onto her waist to make sure she didn't fall on me.

"Be careful, my love," I said as I watched her sit close to me. I stuffed one of the pillows behind her so she could lay back comfortably. She pulled me back down to her and placed my arm behind her neck so she could put her head against it. "Comfy now?"

"Mhm," she nodded with her eyes closed and a smile on her lips. She then frowned and opened her eyes again. "Dizzy."

"What did you drink?" I asked. I saw her with a few different glasses and cups during the night, she even shoved a couple in my hand.

"This n'that," she mumbled and then giggled. That made me giggle. It was contagious and it didn't stop until I kissed her. Her lips tasted sweet and they were soft and warm. I felt her fingers brush through my hair at the nape of my neck as I curled my arm under her and placed my other hand on her cheek. As I dragged that hand along, my index finger trailed a line on her skin first on her jawline then down the side of her neck. She pulled away as she gasped for air, her breathing ragged as I drew my finger along her throat and then down the middle of her chest. "Harry," she called my name just above a whisper which made my skin turn into a goosebumpy mess.