CHAPTER 88

a.n. don't forget to comment and vote

• • •

Renleigh Kensington

For someone who couldn't have imagined themselves with a baby, I was overjoyed for Charlotte and Zayn. To my knowledge, she was five months along when she visited us in New York to deliver the news and since then I was alone. Obviously, I didn't mind Zayn going home to be with her and their still cooking child but I also felt extremely alone once he was no longer by my side and only a phone call away.

It was my birthday, however. May came around every year and my age went up a digit each time. I was one year off thirty this year and that made me feel weird. Almost three decades on this planet, which is one more than I thought I would get to live through. Not saying I'm disappointed but I am slightly surprised. I guess my life turning in the right direction did change the way I looked at things and for that, I was eternally grateful.

I didn't plan on doing anything for it. I haven't in a long time and I didn't want to change that. Thankfully, I never got to celebrate it with a certain someone to the extent they wanted to celebrate it with me but it was still much more than I ever did for it.

• • •

"I don't think you realise but I hate birthdays," I chuckled as Harry placed a cake in front of me. It had twenty-eight candles on the top, all of them lit once he found the lighter.

"And I don't think you realise but I don't care," he pressed a kiss on my temple before he placed the lighter down and sat on the chair next to me. "Now, I'm gonna get your parents on FaceTime and we'll sing you a happy birthday, is that cool with you, your Majesty?"

I didn't have a choice so I didn't feel like an answer—other than me rolling my eyes and smirking—was needed. He actually did end up making sure both of my dads were in the camera and he set it up so us two and the cake was in focus, too. They all sang the annoying birthday song and I couldn't wait for it to be over. They all clapped and when Harry gave me a stare, I joined in as well.

After that, I was made to make a wish and blow out all my candles. It was so embarrassing to be in the spotlight like this but because it made Harry so happy, I put it to the side for the time being.

"I can't believe you really FaceTimed them!" I shook my head once it was just us two again. He began to slice the cake although I would have been fine with eating it with a fork as a whole.

"I know they always visit you or at least call you for your birthday so there was no way I was going to let you being in New York be the reason why that can't happen," he explained and I just watched him with my head propped up in my hand as he lifted the slice on a plate. I missed him terribly, so much more than I thought I would, so to finally have him out here was the best thing ever.

I love you so much. "That's nice."

"I know you don't like the attention it brings but I want to celebrate you because you deserve it," he smiled at me with one of his hands on the table and the other on the back of my chair. He then leaned down and pecked me on the lips. I wanted more, however, so I slipped my hand on the side of his neck then wrapped both of them around him and kissed him for a bit longer. "Mhm, don't you want cake?"

"I want you," I mumbled in the kiss and he chuckled. I stood up from my seat and pulled him along to my couch then pushed him down so I could straddle his lap. "Much better," I grinned when he was finally under me and my lips could shower his neck in kisses.