48

"Finn, I'm going to do an ultrasound so you can see your baby..." Dr. Lynch addressed the Irishman. A month had passed and both Dean and Finn were scheduled for an appointment, and of course, the proud papas tagged along as well. Dean and Seth were in one room while the Beta couple was in another.

"Really?" He asked overly excited, laughing with joy. All Roman could do was smile.

"Of course " She smiled. "The ultrasound will let us see the development of the child. But to obtain a clear image you need to have your bladder full. So you must drink all that water." She said pointing at a huge jar, placed on a tray, containing at least two litters of liquid. Finn gulped, he wasn't even thirsty, but he obeyed, and started to drink from the glass he was grabbing, after sitting down on an examination table settled in the center of the room. Roman remained in silence, looking attentively and seriously at him, ignoring anything and anyone else.

"Now, to the ultrasound. The machine is in another room, I'll give you two a few minutes while I prep the machine." She said while walking out of the room.

Before following after the doctor, Roman silently closed the door and with a serious expression on his face slid his hand over Finn's cheek in a tender caress. Then placing the hand on the back of his neck, pulled his wife to him and captured his lips in a tender kiss, pleasantly surprising the younger male, who wrapping his arms around Roman's waist, returned the kiss enthusiastically. After some moments of tongue wrestling, Roman broke apart to flicker his moist appendage over Finn's neck in a wet caress.

Pressing his lips against a sensitive spot below his uke's ear he started to suck, eliciting a moan of pure bliss from his lover. The moan deepened and grew in intensity, turning into a yelp, as Roman's fangs gently nipped the delicate skin as his lips suctioned more and more frantically.

"Shh, the guys are in the other room." He shushed him covering Finn's mouth with one hand while smirking in amuse. The younger vampire, blushing, giggled when the male removed his hand.

"You shouldn't be so scared, Romie, I know everything is going to be alright." Finn murmured quietly, soothingly, locking eyes with the Beta.
Though Roman's tender gesture had
been caused by the relief he felt knowing that there wasn't going to be any complication or risk, Finn had felt fear and preoccupation flowing from his mate in waves, so powerful and strong that it almost physically punched him.

It was heartbreaking seeing his husband in such a state, he liked the strong and confident Roman, not this desperate and anguished shadow that had taken the place of his mighty seme.

"Finn, I would love to be as optimistic as you are, but life has taught me to expect always the worst. It's true, I'm scared... I'm scared to be happy for always it's the same. Every time I've had the rare chance to savor the sweet taste of happiness, the universe conspires against me to steal what I held dear, leaving me miserable, only counting on my pride and wrath to recompose the shattered pieces. Seth admitted to me the other day that he felt the same way regarding Dean. We're at war, my love. Neither of us would want to lose the one thing that truly matters to us in this immortal life-our mates. I nearly lost Natalya to those military bastards. And this time I have so much to lose Finn, I... I..." He struggled to let out words that he had wanted to say to his younger companion for quite a long time, but something in the back of his mind tugged at him and made him hesitate.
It's been centuries since they married, but he still hadn't managed those three simple words. He still wasn't ready.

Roman knew he had to remain strong for his wife, but he dreaded to see Finn disappear before his eyes, vanishing like morning mist as a cold laughter coming from the very core of hell mocked him, if he dare to say those words out loud. He sighed with profound sadness, loathing himself for being such a coward and, sinking his head in Finn's chest, he lovingly traced with the palm of his hand the curve of his wife's swollen belly, hoping that his mate would understand.