56

No less than a week after that, both Seth and Roman received phone calls that neither Alpha nor Beta wanted to take. There was, to be a small problem in the upcoming week, and Seth finally found the chance to tell him about it that morning as they got into bed. "...Roman and I have to see to a number of military matters during a conference this week. It's... Going to be with other vampire leaders around the world... And it's in Egypt... So we both won't be able to make it back until Friday, or maybe Thursday morning...  But we'll be back here as soon as we can. Okay?"

Dean looked at him accusingly. "You're leaving me." The question was half a statement. "Again."

"Yes. Wait no!... I mean I'd love to be here... I know it's so sudden and I want to be here - and we both want to be here, I'm sure, but... We can't. At least not for this week."

"Can't you get Randy to do it?" Dean asked with desperation.

"I've already asked enough from him as it is, love, both he and Paige are still out on the warfront as we speak." He answered regrettably.

"Well, what about Renee and Sami?" He asked, his voice starting to crack up.

"They are coming with us as escorts, but the conference is strictly for Alphas and Betas. It's mandatory that I be there Darling, and you know I'd take you with me... But I can't take the chances."

He ran his hands through Dean's curly locks, but his mate tensed up. Seth was already feeling horrible. Here his mate needed him and yet there was nothing he could do about the duties as king that he still needed to attend to. 

"But I'll call love." He promised earnestly. "Every night, okay? And... If Finn's really that bad you could always call Natalya down for help and... For extra company, you know."

"Fine." Dean sighed. The upset was clear in his voice, however, and he turned around with a huff and refused to face him, already emanating a brooding aura of gloom and unhappiness.

Seth reached toward him. "Dean-"

"Goodnight Seth."

The king heaved a silent, heavy sigh. This was turning out to be a little harder than he'd thought. After a moment's deliberation he decided to take the risk and wrapped his arms around him from behind, hands coming to rest on his belly as he nuzzled into the crook of his wife's neck.

"I love you, Darling."

"Hmph." Came the disgruntled response. Dean didn't move, but then he hadn't tried to push him away either, so Seth supposed this was good enough, snuggled a little closer, and let themselves drift off to sleep.