draft day

**rewritten/edited 07/01/2021

*copyright©*

it was finally here. the 2019 nhl draft. the day your brother, alex turcotte, is supposed to be selected to officially start his nhl career. i'm dating luke, and our brothers say that our relationship is adorable. one time, jack told me that i am practically his sister.

after the long plane ride from michigan to vancouver, we were all very tired. we all went to our rooms, luke and i got our own, but we had to sleep in separate beds. after about a two hour nap, we all went to dinner, looked at some shops near the hotel, and then went straight to bed.

"today's the day," i said as i walked into alex's room. alex looked up from his phone and smiled, "i can't believe it."

alex had a wide smile spread across his features, you knew he was excited. you were excited for him, you were just going to miss him.

you had spent the rest of the day, up until you had to get ready, exploring downtown vancouver with alex. he was your best friend and you were going to miss him so much once the season started.

-

your whole family was dressed and looking good. your dad and alex were wearing suits, while your mom wore a floral dress and you wore a black jumpsuit.

"before we leave, i just want to thank you guys for always being my biggest supporters. you have always been there for me and i really appreciate it. especially, you y/n."

"me? what did i do?" you reply.

"well, you never complained about the early mornings, late nights, or the cold rinks. and that means a lot, so, thank you."

"you're welcome," i reply, a light blush dusting my cheeks.

my phone lightly buzzes on the table making the noise sound louder than it actually was. i pick up my phone off of the table to see who texted me.

luke😚: i know that you are going to look gorgeous in whatever you wear ;)

"is that lukey?" alex asks you with a teasing smirk on his face.

you blush bright red, nod your head, and reply back.

y/n💜: thanks babe, i'm sure you'll look great too :)

you turn your phone off and begin to make your way down to the lobby. you were just informed by your brother that the bus that was taking you to the arena, was on its way.

you stand outside and greet all of the ntdp boys who have become big brothers to you. you spot luke in the crowd and make your way over to him.

you wrap your arms around his back and rest your head in between his shoulder blades.

"hey babe," you say, it coming out slightly muffled due to your position.

luke turns you around so that you are in his arms, staring up at him.

"i was right, you do look gorgeous."

you hide your face in his chest, right as the bus pulls up. you press a quick kiss to his lips and walk back over to your family.

you enter the bus and sit down next to luke in the aisle seat. you could barely contain your excitement on the way to rogers arena.

after getting off the bus, you walked behind your brother who was signing tshirts, jerseys, and posters. you walked into the building and went up the stairs to where your seats were.

after the commissioner's speech, the draft had finally begun.

"with the first overall pick, the new jersey devils are proud to select, from the national development program, jack hughes."

"with the second pick in the 2019 nhl draft, the new york rangers choose, kaapo kakko."

"with the third pick, the blackhawks are proud to select, from the saskatoon blades, kirby dach."

"with our fourth pick, the colorado avalanche are proud to select, from the vancouver giants, bowen byram."

"the los angeles kings, are proud to select, from the united states hockey team, alex turcotte."

alex immediately jumps up and turns to hug our parents, he then turns to hug me before walking down the stairs, taking of his jacket and then back up another flight of stairs to greet everyone. he shakes everyone's hand and finally puts on the black and white la jersey.

"i'm so proud of him," my mom says as she hugs my dad.

"me too mom, me too." i say as i shed tear, knowing how much i am going to miss him when the season starts.

i quickly wipe it away and my family and i descend the stairs, making our way down to the area where all the players who were drafted before alex are.

i see alex and automatically pull him into a hug. telling him how proud i am.

"thanks y/n, it means a lot," he says as he hugs me back.

i smile at him and look over my shoulder, making eye contact with luke. i walk over to him and he wraps and arm around my shoulder, pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

we stay like that for about ten minutes just enjoying each other's company. i see jack and tell luke that i will be right back.

i walk up to jack, he just finished filming a video for the devils youtube channel. i hug him and tell him:

"hey jack, i am so proud of you!"

"thanks y/n, but you better go back over to luke, he looks like he wants to kill me." jack says with a teasing grin.

you nod your head and make you way back over to luke. you wrap your arm around his waist and rest your head on his shoulder. he looks down at you and you get on your tippy toes to press a kiss to his lips.

you take in everything around you, your brother, jack, all the other ntdp boys who are like brothers to you. you are so lucky. lucky to have alex as your brother. lucky that you have a second family that welcomed you with open arms after they heard you were dating luke. lucky to have all the usa boys as big brother figures. and you were so lucky to have luke, he was your rock, you could always count on him to be there for you.

"i love you." luke mumbles into your hair.

"i love you too," you say.

wc: 1085
have a great day!💜💜