new teammate

*rewritten/edited 07/08/2021

you had heard the constant whispering that seemed to follow you whenever you went to the arena. why couldn't people believe that a girl was going to be on the usa hockey team? people believe that only boys and men can play hockey, but thats not true, at all.

"who is that?" luke says in awe of her beauty when he sees her talking to his coach.

"oh, that's y/n, she's new. she is going to be playing on the team this year. she's really good, coach and i were watching some of her highlights the other day before practice and he was seriously impressed," his teammate jacob martin says.

"she's going to be on our team? like the only girl?" luke says in shock.

"yep, coach said it's time we start including girls, her first practice with us is today."

~~~~~

later that day y/n was getting ready for her first practice on her new team. coach had told her to change in the bathroom and then come into the locker room. she had to admit, she was nervous.

when i was done putting on my pads, skates, and jersey. i walked out of the bathroom and into the locker room. as i tried to find coach, i was getting looks from the boys around me. one caught my eye though, l.hughes was written above his stall. he was cute, very cute.

"ah, y/n, your here. boys, this is y/n, she is your new teammate. you will be nice to her and treat her with respect or else there will be consequences. am i clear?"

a series of 'yeses' could be heard throughout the otherwise quiet locker room. you took one last look at luke, before heading out with everyone else. everyone was now on the ice, warming up. everyone did a few laps on the fresh ice to get ready for practice and then skated back over to coach for instructions.

coach had explained that he was going to partner everyone up to see how they worked together. he had been listing off names until you finally heard yours.

"l/n and hughes," he listed.

you nodded, then skated over to luke and got into position.

~~~~~

after an eventful, and tiring practice, you felt as though you had proved your self to the coaches and the boys. some of them even told you that you were really good. turns out, you and luke work very well together and coach even told two that you were going to be on the same line during games.

you walked into the bathroom you had changed in before and took off your jersey, skates, pads, and underclothes. you put on a hoodie and a pair of shorts, then you quickly put your hair up, so that it was off of your neck. you walked out of the bathroom and you were on your way to your car. on your way out, someone ran out of the locker room. they suddenly were right in front of you, making you come to a stop. that person was luke.

"hey y/n. can i talk to you please?" he said, out of breath.

you nodded your head in response and leaned up against the wall motioning for him to talk. he took a deep breath and began:

"look y/n, i think you're really good at hockey, you are really pretty too and i was wondering if i could get your number and maybe we could go out on a date sometime?" he said, face blushing red.

"sure luke, i would love to go on a date with you," you said with a smile.

the two of you exchanged phone numbers and hugged goodbye. you walked away and out the doors of the arena, to get to your car. you were about to put your car in drive when you got a text.

127-563-0198: hey y/n, when should we do that date?

(completely random number btw)
wc: 679
have a fantastic day yall!!