What's Beneath the Surface

You stood behind Hayato, feeling kind of awkward as he shuffled through his backpack for the key and then opened up the door to the house. He immediately took off his hat and hung it on the coat stand before undoing his shoes and placing them in the cubby.

"So, what do you usually do after school?" You asked the kid as you took your own shoes off and left them in the genkan right before the slightly raised floor of the rest of the house.

"I usually just go straight to my room, but I guess I'll stay out here since you're supposed to watch over me." Mumbled Hayato as he took a seat at the kitchen table and started taking out his homework for the day.

You opened the fridge just to make sure  that the dinner for Hayato and Kosaku was there. When you heard a low purring you glanced down to see a a grey and black striped cat rubbing along your leg. You picked up the creature as you joined Hayoto at the table, "Your mom didn't mention a cat, am I supposed to feed it?"

"No." He continued scribbling across his paper. A quick glance at it let you know it is was just some pretty basic math. He didn't look up as he spoke again, "I'm aware that it's apparently rude to ask this, but how old are you, (Y/N)?"

You gave a somewhat nervous laugh as you held the cat a bit tighter, "Um, why do you ask?"

He set his pencil down as he looked over at you, "It's just that you don't look any different from the first time we met. I'm usually not superstitious or anything, but you're a lot older than you look, right?"

Out of everyone in town, this eleven year old boy was the first person to question you. You figured it wasn't necessary to go into the specifics for him so you just gave a small nod. Apparently that was good enough for him and he got back to work.

The rest of the stay was mostly uneventful. You were eating dinner together when the door opened and Kosaku entered the house. Hayato, who was just talking about a book he had read for school, went silent. He gave you a look asking if he could be excused and you allowed it, aware thanks to his mother that he wasn't exactly on good terms with his father. Hayato placed his plate in the sink before jogging upstairs to his room.

Kosaku didn't acknowledge your presence as he just walked into the kitchen and took his food out of the fridge and warmed it up in the microwave. He didn't even say anything as he sat across from you at the dining table. You knew he was just a silent man, but it sort of made you feel as though you were intruding.

Shinobu entered a minute or two later, just when you finished washing yours and Hayato's plates. She thanked you for coming over and you hurriedly crossed the street back over to your house with a quick goodbye. You let out a sigh of relief as your entered your home, quickly locking the door behind you. You took a peak into Santana's room to see him sprawled out on his bed, just... staring at Iggy who was sleeping on top of the Pillar Man's stomach. He flashed you a quick smile, careful not to disturb the dog.

You chuckled to yourself as you closed the door again and headed to your own room, once again changing before letting Kars loose again. The ultimate being quite literally swept you off your feet as he picked you up bridal style, your arms instinctually wrapping around his neck to not fall.

A small smirk made its way across his face, "You know, I can't quite express how glad I am to have you no longer shy away from my touch or advert your gaze from my own. I do this and you don't even protest." He set you down on the bed and of course got in right next to you.

You moved a hand through his soft, luscious locks, "Because unlike Dio I think you actually changed for the better." You covered your mouth as you yawned, "Well, good night Kars." You planted a kiss on his cheek. "I hope your dreams are good if you have any."