Night Out with the Team

April 1987

I was changing out of my work clothes and into an outfit that better suited my personal taste. It's not too different, just less bright colors. Jenko invited us all out to formally welcome the newest recruit, Tom, without the pressures of being at work.

I had Queen's vinyl Jazz playing on my record player as I got ready. I have so many albums that range from Jimmy Buffet, to The Beach Boys to Madonna. I have a lot of albums from Queen, The Beatles, and Aerosmith, as well as Frank Sinatra, Elvis, and Bob Marley. I recently picked up Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation, and Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet last time I went to the record store. Judy usually likes to go with me, otherwise I just go alone.

I was putting on my black converse shoes when my phone rang. I reached over to the table beside my red couch and picked up the receiver.

"This is Gregg," I said, putting the receiver between my cheek and my shoulder while tying the laces of my sneakers.

Pacino walked up right in front of me, demanding to be pet like the sassy boy he is. I smiled at him and let out a little chuckle and I rubbed his brown furry head.

"It's Hanson," the deep voice on the other end said.

"Tom, hey!" I said cheerfully. I did not question how he got my number but I asked, "are you coming out with us tonight?"

"Yeah, I am," he said. I tried to focus on his voice instead of Don't Stop Me Now that was blaring from my record player. "I was calling to ask what I wear?"

"What do you mean?" I asked as I walked over to my record player and I lifted the needle up before turning it off.

"I mean... do I still teenage-it-up?"

I chuckled softly, "no, man, we are off the clock."

"Okey-dokey."

I sat back down and teased him by saying, "just be sure to use a whole bottle of pomade."

"Pomade comes in containers," he tried to snap back.

I laughed and I heard him chuckle softly into the phone. I brought my hand up to the receiver to be able to continue holding it to my ear and relaxed my shoulder and I asked, "do you know how to get to Royal Lemon?"

"Royal Lemon?" He asked.

"Royal Lemon Bar and Grill," I said.

"Well... if you come from the south... it's a... right on Maple..."

"Left on Maple Drive," I corrected, "then a right on Green Way. Royal Lemon is on the left at the third light."

I could hear him scribble my directions down vigorously. I rolled my eyes and grinned, even though he couldn't see it. I reached over and scratched Pacino behind his ear which made his collar ring from the metal hitting itself.

He said, "great. Thank you, I'll see you there."

"Mm-hmm, bye, Tom," I said back and hung up.

I had on a pair of acid wash jeans, which I tightened around my waist with a thick black belt. I had a white tank top tucked into them, and a denim jacket that matched the pants over my arm. I checked myself out in the gilded full length mirror I have leaning against the wall in my living room, making sure my hair looked good and my outfit wasn't frumpy. I have another mirror that is hanging in my living room, it has a golden frame that I got from a second-hand store. I have it hanging opposite my window, it makes the room feel brighter.