Doug Shot Tom in the Ass

Based on the episode The Dragon and the Angel
January 1989

I knocked on the door of the hospital room gently and let myself in. In one hand, I had a bouquet of flowers, and in the other I had Tom's favorite candy. I received a call from Fuller that Tom got shot while on duty the night before, so I came to the hospital as soon as I could.

"Hey, Tom," I said sweetly as I walked in.

"Tom doesn't really want any visitors right now, Gregg," Fuller said to me

Tom was laying on his stomach with a red plaid robe on with his hips lifted slightly in the air by a little swing that was hooked to the ceiling. If I was in his position, I don't think I'd want any visitors either. Half of Tom's face was pressed into the firm pillow but he asked, "Mick's here?"

"Yeah, I'm here," I said as I walked to the table to set my gifts down on it. "How does it feel?"

"How does what feel?" Tom mumbled.

"You know.... your ass?"

"Gregg," Fuller snapped at me.

"It feels like someone shot it," Tom said flatly, "I could go further into detail if you'd like."

"I'd appreciate that you keep it vague," I said.

He paused for a moment before he answered, "throbbing. Sharp if I squeeze."

"I now know more about your ass than I'd like," I joked.

"You asked," he mumbled.

"I'm human, I make mistakes," I said.

"I didn't want to come to the hospital. I'm never gonna financially recover from this," Tom stated.

"Oh," I responded to fill the silence.

"I have a bullet in my ass, and I can't remember any of my middle school teachers names," he said.

Fuller piped up, "they've pumped him full of pain medication."

"When you got shot in your leg and your chest, did you feel like you were on fire? 'Cause it feels like someone struck a match to my ass," Tom asked sleepily.

I nodded before I realized that he couldn't see me. I said, "yeah, it doesn't feel great."

Tom groaned and said, "I just realized that I'm going to have to figure out how to sit with this."

I winced at imagining the pain he must feel, and how it would feel to have to sit down on it. I put my hand on his shoulder and rubbed my thumb up and down tenderly in an attempt to comfort him.

"Try not to think about that yet, Tom," Fuller said.

"Hey, at least you still look good," I said to try to cheer him up.