Nerds

March 1990

My whole team was sitting around the table, waiting for Fuller to come out of his office. We were all in the middle of talking about our upcoming weekend plans when Fuller came out with a pile of Manila folders in his hands. Tom tapped my shoulder, and poured some blueberries that he was eating into my hand. I silently thanked him, and flicked one in my mouth.

We all quieted down and Fuller started with me. He flicked the folder my way, and it slid smoothly on the table before reaching me. I picked it up with one hand and tossed the rest of the blueberries in my mouth with the other. I chewed and I opened the folder to read through the first page as he gave me the debriefing.

"Elara is the newest drug out there. We have traced it over to Bushmont High School, and we have reason to believe that it's the chemistry students who are making the drug."

"Why not bust them?" I asked, "do they really need me?"

"Every time there's been a bust operation, there's some whistleblower who tips off the chemistry students. They always come back clean. They haven't been able to get anyone to come clean or provide concrete proof, so we want to put someone on the inside. That's where you come in," he said and handed everyone else their assignments.

I continued to quickly read through my papers, "chemistry classes? Physics? That's a lot of science classes."

"If they're going to let you in on what they do, you're going to have to commit," Fuller said, "you and your partner."

I looked around at my lovely teammates, but I wasn't able to see any of them being able to pass off as a nerd. Maybe Judy, but she was stuck on a case at St. Joseph's Mount Evergreen Convent. She had to be a nun for her assignment, one that she's been working on for over a week. I've done a geeky assignment before with Ioki years ago, and he hated it so I didn't see him doing this one either.

"Who is going to nerd-out with me?" I asked and Fuller smiled closed-lipped at me. I heard someone clear their throat behind me, and I turned to see Tom squishing his face while chewing and point to himself over and over while puckering his lips.

"You?" I asked and I raised an eyebrow playfully

"Yes, me," he said and plopped some more blueberries into his mouth.

"Fuller asked you... Tom Hanson... by name?"

"Yes. Any more questions?" He asked through his chewing.

I chuckled and shook my head, "no. Not anymore. Just thankful it's not Doug."

"Hey," Doug whined.

"I'm joking," I promised. Doug smiled at me and reached over to try to mess my hair around, but I dodged his hand just in time.

"Let's not do all of that," I joked.

"You two, dismissed," Fuller shooed us off, "I want this case closed as soon as possible."