Tom and Mickey's Date: Tom's Version

February 1989

My heart was beating out of my chest as the hostess was walking me and Mickey to our table for dinner. She called us Mr. and Mrs. Hanson, and I honestly didn't mind it. Mickey gave me a funny look, but we were silent as we walked to our table.

Le Tart Tartin is Mickey's favorite restaurant. It's really nice, and I didn't know it existed until she started taking me to it. It's pretty pricy and for a couple of young cops, it's hard to come here often. You know a restaurant is fancy when the silverware is presented on fabric napkins.

The hostess showed us the table and said, "your waiter will be right with you."

Mickey began walking to her chair, but I rushed to beat her to it. I grabbed the back of it and pulled it out for her, with a little sheepish grin.

"Thank you," she said as I pushed her closer to the table. I closed my eyes for just a moment to take a breath before taking my own seat across from her. I felt... nervous.

I grabbed the menu that laid on the white table cloth and began looking at what they offered. My eyes darted to the rose that was placed in the middle of our table with a candle beside it. When I looked up at Mickey, the soft classical music that played in the restaurant faded away. I barely noticed that there was anyone else in the restaurant when I looked at her.

"Are you going to get the Steak Diane again?" I asked. She gets the same thing every time.

She nodded and asked, "what are you getting this time?"

"I'm thinking of getting the fois gras," I said in a goofy accent. I don't think it was as good of a French accent as it was in my head before I said it. I've heard of fois gras before, but I've never had it. If I've heard of it before, it must be good. Even though I'm not completely confident I know what it is.

Mickey chuckled and said, "you know that is liver, right?"

My eyes shot up at her and I asked sarcastically, "why would you tell me that?" I couldn't keep a straight face though. I looked back down at my menu and bit my lips together to keep from smiling.

Our nicely dressed waiter came by with ice waters and said, "good evening, I'm Nathaniel and I'll be taking care of you this evening. Are we ready for drinks?"

I spoke up and said, "I think we are ready to order everything."

"Great. Miss, what would you like?" Nathaniel asked.

"May I have a Steak Diane and a Cola please?" Mickey asked.

Nathaniel said, "I do suggest you pair your Steak Diane with our divine Cabernet Sauvignon."

"I'm fine, thank you," she said.

"As you wish," he said and wrote her order down. Then he turned to me and asked, "and for you, sir?"

"Can I get the fois gras?" I asked while pointing at the menu.

"That's one of my favorites," Nathaniel said, "might I suggest the 1980 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Vintage Brut Champagne? It has a very youthful, pale gold colour. It has quite a high, perfumed, estery and exotic nose, with a hint of oxidation and bruised fruit. It pairs superbly with the fois gras."

I tried to follow what Nathaniel was suggesting, but he lost me at "1980." But, I took his word for it. I looked up at him with blind trust and said, "okey-dokey."

"May I have your identification, sir?" Nathaniel asked. I pulled my wallet out of my pocket and quickly found my drivers license. I handed it to him, and he gave it a quick glance before he handed it back to me. Then, he asked for Mickey's. Since I ordered a bottle, as least I think I did, it makes sense.