Another Universe

I sleepily stumbled into my apartment, locking the door behind me with my eyes practically closed. I yawned as I took my gun belt off and set it on the table. I had one of my longest shifts ever, nearly twenty five hours, and I was so tired.

I had to talk myself into changing into my pajamas, because I was more than willing to sleep in my police uniform. I was like a zombie as I got ready for bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light.

I woke up to my phone ringing. My boss, Captain Briody, was on the other line. The sun was shining in my room because I forgot to close the window curtains last night.

"Hello?" I felt groggy.

"Gregg," he said, "we've got a new recruit I want you to train. When can you be here?"

I looked over at my alarm clock and rubbed my eye. "I can be there in an hour."

"Fantastic," he said, "see you then."

I hung up, and I rolled out of bed. I put my uniform back on, and poured myself a cup of coffee. I chugged it, even though I don't like coffee. It was gross.

I drove to the Metro police station, and greeted Briody. He introduced me to Officer Harry Ioki, the newest recruit. Briody assigned us to an easy assignment for Ioki's first day, just patrolling around down town.

I drove the police cruiser slowly through the streets, talking to rookie Ioki about the town. We took a left on Jump Street, and noticed someone scurry down an alley by an abandoned chapel we have on that street.

I pulled over and we stepped out of the vehicle. Ioki and I ran through the steps of what to do and I told him to let me do the talking. We took out our flashlights and started heading down the alley. We shined our flashlights toward the person standing in the dark alley, quickly shoving a wad of cash into his pocket.

His dark hair was tousled and greasy on his head, contrasting against his pale face. His eyes were naturally sunken with dark under eye circles, and he was wearing a ripped up jean vest and a black shirt underneath with denim pants. He was quite skinny, and his hand shook slightly.

"Evening, officers," the man said to us. He looked barely older than me. He squinted at the light that beamed in his eyes from our flashlights, and he had a cigarette balancing between his lips. "Either of you have a light?"

"What's your name?" I asked, approaching him. His mannerisms told me that he was drugged out of his mind, probably under the influence of alcohol too. His crazed eyes bounced all over the place, and he had bruises and track marks along his heavily tattooed arms.

"Who wants to know?" He asked as Ioki grabbed a lighter from his back pocket and lit his cigarette. He took a drag and blew the smoke away.

"Officers Ioki and Gregg," I stated.

"Name's Tom. Tom Hanson."

I lowered my flashlight and asked, "what are you doing here?"

His smile revealed rotting teeth and he asked, "wanna show me a good time, doll?"

I clenched my jaw and put my flashlight away, but Ioki kept his out. I tried to look intimidating by putting my hands on my hips and said, "that's a lot of cash. Wanna tell me how you got it?"

"Workin'," he said nonchalantly.

I recognized this guy as someone the main cop who watches Jump Street has had suspicions of being a drug dealer. I usually don't spend a lot of time on Jump Street. There's just an abandoned chapel there, and a few other empty buildings and random businesses with graffiti on the walls, chained doors, and boarded up windows.