La Bizca

Based on the episode La Bizca
February 1990

Doug and I hopped the first flight to El Salvador. We found ourselves on an old, dirty bus where there was a wagon getting pulled by a donkey in front of us, and the bus was so full, some people were sitting on the roof.

Hay covered the floor of the dirty bus, and someone had a piglet on their lap, and I heard a few chickens too. The air with thick with cigarette smoke, and it was so humid, I was fanning myself with my hand. Doug was sleeping beside me, hugging his backpack to his chest.

I was still wearing Sal's multi-green colored shirt that I borrowed from him in Florida, and I bought a pair of sunglasses at the airport. I was still on vacation mode, and this was not cutting it for me.

I reached over Doug and tried desperately to open the bus window to get some airflow. I got it to slide down a crack, which gave me hope.

Doug woke up with a start and he whined, "just leave it."

"I just got it open," I said as I tried to pull the window the rest of the way down.

"You tried it a million times." Doug pushed me back to my seat.

I was breathing heavy, because I was hot and tired. My hair was sticking to my skin and sweat was building up on my hairline that wouldn't go away no matter how many times I wiped it dry. I am not built for this. I told him angrily, "when we get to the capital, I pick the hotel."

"Fair is fair," Doug agreed.

"And we rent the best car they got."

Doug said, "we get Marta, and we're gone."

I nodded in agreement. Marta was in Metro last year and married Doug, but she and three other women were picked up by government soldiers and deported back to El Salvador. The government didn't believe their marriage was real because it happened so fast. They only knew each other for five days. Doug is in love with her, and was determined to get her back to the states.

I was staring straight ahead, but I noticed Doug moving. I glanced in his direction and saw that he was making goofy faces. I slid my sunglasses down my sweaty nose and followed his eyes and saw that he was making those faces at a child to make her laugh. She was sitting across from us, by her father or grandfather. She couldn't have been more than five years old. She grinned and stood up from her seat, and I smiled at her. Then, her guardian pulled her back into her seat.

I used my finger to push my sunglasses back up and I said to Doug, "friendly place."

"Yeah. The best."

I sighed and let my head rest back. The bus was bumping and jolting but I managed to find a comfortable position. I didn't realize I fell asleep until Doug jabbed me with his elbow. I shot up, and smacked my lips together a few times because they felt dry.