Art Supplies

April 1989

I was standing up on our loft where we have a little wall of lockers. I usually keep changes of clothes in there so they don't have to be down at my desk, but otherwise I usually have everything I need downstairs. My locker is number 7, so I opened it and grabbed my extra jean jacket because it was a little colder than I was expecting it to be.

I found a little white envelope with my name written on the front on brilliant cursive. I chuckled to myself and grabbed it and carefully opened the top. In it was a simple card, but the words were lovely. It was a little love note, with Tom's signature at the bottom. He loves to write me love letters, and I keep every single one. I thought it was really sweet, and something that warmed my heart on this chilly morning.

I put the card away and took my jacket out of my locker. I slid my arms through the holes and walked to the fire pole we have that takes us to the floor below. I gripped the pole and slid down, and started heading to my desk.

"Anyone have any pepto bismol?" Doug asked from his desk while sitting back and looking up at the ceiling. He had his hands clasped over his stomach, drumming his fingers down on his red flannel shirt.

"I should," Judy said and started to dig around in her cute mom-bag. She always has snacks, medicine, tissues, chapstick, bandages, gum, and hand sanitizer in her bag.

"Thanks. I've just been pooping all day. Logs," Doug admitted.

Tom piped in with a deadpan, "Douglas."

I grimaced and scoffed in disgust. "We don't need to know about that. You keep that to yourself."

Judy tossed the container of pepto across the chapel and Doug caught it. She agreed with me, "that is just too much information."

"You asked," he defended himself.

Judy and I immediately looked at each other in confusion. Judy then pointed out, "no, we didn't."

Doug looked as if he was in deep thought for a moment and when he realized that he had not been asked about his personal bowel issue, he simply shrugged and took the medicine with a cup of water.

"Assignments!" Fuller shouted to get everyone's attention. I pulled out my chair and sat down. I leaned back and rolled my head in his direction, and waited for the assignment.

Tom sat at his desk with his foot up next to his type writer as he filled out a report from a bust last night

Tom sat at his desk with his foot up next to his type writer as he filled out a report from a bust last night. He put his hat on before getting back to work.

Tom and I had been keeping our new relationship secret for the past month and a half. I don't want to speak for Tom, but it's been going great. We cook together, go on little dates, and watch movies together. No one at Jump Street knows, which we have made certain. I didn't realize how much happier I was going to be when I was with him. If I knew, I would have done this much sooner.