Haunted House

October 1988

Staging as strangers who just so happened to become friends while attending North Washington High School was easy. Tom and I were standing at my empty blue locker when we overheard how someone on the committee for building the haunted house in the school cafeteria was beginning to sell hallucinating drugs to give to students to take before entering the haunted house.

I looked to Tom. "Looks like we are going to have to join the haunted house committee."

Tom looked at me with a twitch of his neck and a sour look on his face.

I frowned and chuckled, "what's that look? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Don't get any ideas. You cannot handle your horror. Yet, it's like a drug to you," he said and leaned back against the lockers.

I was almost offended. I crossed my arms while holding a textbook and said, "I can handle my horror."

"Oh yeah?" Tom chuckled, "tell me... after you watched Cape Fear alone... who went room by room in your apartment making sure that Robert Mitchum wasn't hiding in your closet? May I add that you had called me in the middle of the night."

"Irrelevant," I said casually and chewed my minty gum. "If it was Gregory Peck, I wouldn't have called."

Tom laughed at his win. "Don't come crying to me when you get scared."

"I'm not going to get scared," I snarled confidently, "it's a high school haunted house."

"I think it's more like a maze," he said.

"A high school haunted maze," I corrected, "how bad can it possibly be?"

We joined the committee, and Tom quickly found that it was a kid named Issac who was selling the drugs. But, we could not bust him until he sold it to us. On opening night, I found out that Issac was in charge of counting how many kids exit the maze, and there was no way for us to talk to him unless we went through the haunted maze first.

Tom and I waited outside in line that went out the doors and snaked around the cafeteria. We heard the sounds of screaming echo out of the building, and people dressed in sinister costumes were scaring people as they waited in line. The night was foggy, and the dim lights from lamps danced around the area. The moon was almost full, which made the night even more eerie and creepy than it already was. Apparently, they've won awards for having the scariest haunted house in the state.

"I'm having second thoughts," I whispered to Tom as we stepped into the darkness of the building, the beginning of the terrifying maze.

I shoved my hands in the deep pockets of my rusty red corduroy jacket. The quilted lining was like a hug, comforting me on this chilly and terrifying night. It has Harley Davidson embroidered on the left hand side of my chest. The pockets are huge, I could fit my shoe in it if I wanted to. I had it on over a black t-shirt and a red flannel, so I was pretty warm. I glanced down at my black converse so I didn't have to see the horror actors surrounding everyone in line.