Work Trip: Tom's Version

Tom's POV
May 1990

Last night, Mickey and I watched a movie but she was asleep before it ended. She had a long day at work, and I was surprised she was awake as long as she was. She was resting against me, and I tried not to move until the movie was over. Then, I gently scooped her up and put her to bed. She looked so peaceful and stress free when she's asleep.

The next morning, I made sure to turn my alarm clock off right away so I didn't wake her up. Fuller wanted me to come into work early, and I didn't want to wake her up too early. Luckily, she slept right through it.

There was a case I have been working on for weeks that I was finishing up. I didn't see Mickey when I came back, and I assumed that she was already out on her assignment. I parked myself at my desk, and the time flew by. It was a little bit before noon when the phone rang in the chapel and Fuller called out, "Hanson! Line one."

I put the receiver up to my ear and instinctively greeted, "it's Hanson."

"Hey, it's Mick. I'm in Greenville," Mickey's voice on the other end told me.

My eyebrows came together when I heard where she was. I asked, "what are you doing all the way over there?"

"On a case. I just wanted to let you know that I won't be home for a week. I probably won't have phone privileges when I'm in there so I wanted to call you before I checked-in."

"A week? Geez, I don't know if I can go a day without seeing you, let alone a week," I said. I wasn't quite sure what she had to do for her case, but I was just going to ask Fuller later.

"Just more to look forward to when I get home."

I smiled into the phone and used my finger to scratch my nose to try to hide it. I asked, "are you coming home next Thursday?"

"It's a three hour drive, and I probably won't be able to leave very early on Thursday so I think I'll stay another night at a hotel. Maybe you can come. When I graduated high school, I took a weekend trip down here with some friends and we had a lot of fun, we could spent next Friday here in town."

My eyebrows raised at her suggestion. A weekend in Greenville with Mickey was a little vacation we both greatly deserved. I feel like I'm not a very romantic person, but I thrive on surprising people. This seemed like a prime opportunity to do just that. I sighed dramatically and lied, "babe, I wish. But I've exhausted all my vacation days for the quarter."

"I think you should come anyway. There's a diner I've been dying to go back to. They make the best burgers I've ever had, I'll probably go next Thursday after my case. You'll love it, because they grill it with cheese inside the burger instead of over it."

"What's it called?" I asked. I grabbed my pen and a scrap of paper and prepared to write down the name of the restaurant.

"Bob's Diner."

I quickly jotted it down, even though it seems simple enough to remember. I set the pen down on my desk and said, "I wish I could but I really can't leave. I'll see you when you get back though, all right?"

She sighed, "all right."

"I love you. Be safe," I told her.

"I love you too, bye."

We hung up and I immediately finished my work for the day and moved on to what I needed to start for tomorrow. It was half-assed, but I didn't really care. It's amazing what you can finish when you have motivation. I wanted to get more done over the next couple of days so it was easier to ask Fuller for the time off. That should not be a problem though.