Tom Breaks Up With Jackie Garrett

Late February 1989

When the sun came up again this morning, I knew this could not wait another day. I only needed one moment of clarity to push me in the right direction in what I wanted in my life.

I was never truly happy when I was with Jackie Garrett. We started dating back in November, and I used every excuse I could think of to not spend time with her. I've claimed to have the flu more times in the past four months than I've had my entire life. I believe that it is just once in your life where you can find someone who can turn your world around, and can bring you up. I felt this way about Mickey, but I have never felt that with Jackie. Mickey also understood my sense of humor, while Jackie did not.

I could not fight the feeling any longer. I was afraid of it for a long time, but I know that I'll never truly be happy until I could embrace it. My relationship with Mickey started as co-workers, then work friends, and then blossomed to a real friendship. But, I've felt it's grown even stronger. I had to tell myself that I can't hold out forever, and I had no reason to be afraid. Mickey was the direction I wanted to go in, because she makes me feel so secure.

My life has been in a whirlwind since I first saw her, and I have been running around in circles in my mind. It wasn't until I promised to take her to her favorite restaurant did I realize that she was who I truly want to be with. Screw the rules. It was time to bring this ship to the shore, and throw away the oars so I can't turn back. I don't think I ever want to turn back.

After work, I immediately went home and got dressed. I buttoned up a light blue shirt and tucked it into my dark pants. I put a dark blue sweater on over that, and poked the collar out. Then, I put a gray blazer on over that and put on some cologne. I was preparing for the dinner I was having with Mickey tonight, but I had to make a quick stop first.

I kept the bouquet of flowers I got for Mickey in the passengers seat as I walked up to Jackie's apartment door and knocked. I fiddled with a button on my jacket as I impatiently waited for her to open the door.

Jackie opened the door and she looked at me happily through her thick rimmed glasses. She said, "Tom! I didn't know we had plans tonight. I'm sorry. I'll grab my jacket—"

I immediately stopped her by saying, "no, we don't."

"Oh. Are you being spontaneous?" She asked avidly.

"No."

Her smile finally faded. "Then what are you doing here?"

I took a deep breath and decided to blurt it out. Just like ripping off a bandaid. I had practiced my speech on the drive over, but I figured out that it was best if I just came out and said it. I said, "I'm sorry, but I don't think we should be seeing each other anymore."

"What?" Her face dropped. I felt bad, but I wasn't regretful with my decision. This has been boiling up in me for a long time and I needed to turn down the heat before I exploded.

"I'm sorry," I repeated.

She looked away from me and bit her lips together. She took a moment to soak up my words and realize what I was doing. She asked, "are you breaking up with me?"

"I'm sorry," I said again.

"What did I do? Just tell me what I did and we can work through it."

"I don't think this is anything we can work through," I responded gently.

"There's someone else, isn't there?"

I didn't answer right away, which I guess was an answer in itself. Realization waved across her face through wide eyes and a dropped jaw.