Abused Gymnasts: Tom's Version

January 1989

I got a call from Fuller last night telling me to come in for our daily table update at five this morning. We have never had to come in that early before. When I asked why, he said it was because Mickey had to be at school extra early all week.

Still groggy and frustrated that I had to come in early, I walked into Jump Street holding a forbidden coffee in my hands, and I had forgotten to brush my hair before I got there. I sat down at the table and was still half asleep until I saw Mickey walk out of the bathroom wearing black sweatpants and a sweatshirt and her hair was up in a ponytail. She had her backpack slung over her shoulder, and she looked as tired as I felt.

"How's it going over at Lincoln?" Fuller asked Mickey and downed his entire mug of coffee.

I looked up at Mickey and noticed that she was already looking at me

I looked up at Mickey and noticed that she was already looking at me. She immediately darted her eyes down at her paper and reported, "I am definitely noticing tension between the gymnasts and the coach. She is very tough on the girls."

"She has to be if she wants them to be good," Doug said groggily. He folded his arms on the table and let his head rest on them.

"I know, but it's excessive. I can understand why visitors aren't necessarily allowed... It's hard to tell after one practice though," Mickey said, "and another thing... the athletic trainer."

"What about him?" Fuller asked.

"He— I might just be reading too much into this but he gives me a bad feeling."

Fuller asked seriously, "are you sure?"

"I'm not sure sure, but I think I will start giving him some more attention," she said.

"Good idea," Fuller said, "I need you to find out if there's any abuse coming from the athletic trainer."

"Is that really a good idea, Fuller?" I asked. I care about Mickey, and I don't want her to be put in a position like that, even if it's for an assignment.

"She's an adult, Hanson," Fuller said, "she will be fine."

"I am a trained police officer, Hanson," she said teasingly as she stood up from her chair. "I'll be fine."

"Yeah. And maybe we can watch her practice," Booker spoke up. I had to refrain from rolling my eyes. Does he think that's funny?

"Not gonna happen," Mickey told him with a flat tone. I'm glad that she wasn't falling for his pathetic flirting. We don't need him so why is he here?