When a Stranger Calls

May 1990

Fuller called me and Tom at home as we were eating breakfast and told us that he wanted us to get to the chapel as soon as we could. That never happens, unless it's serious. Tom and I shoved the rest of the cereal into our mouths and left our dishes on the table so we could race to get ready for work.

Tom and I were the first to get there. Despite it being a warm May morning, I kept my jacket on because my skin was still healing from the emergency room doctor digging into my flesh to remove shards of glass that had flown into my arms and shoulder from my last assignment. I got a few stitches, but the rest will heal on their own. I know that they'll turn into scars and will forever remind me of one of my worst cases.

Fuller wanted to wait until everyone was at the table before he told us what was going on, which made Tom and I restless. Fuller seemed to be on edge, which made me feel uneasy.

Doug was the last to get here, and Fuller immediately began explaining the situation that required all hands on deck.

"What is it, coach?" Ioki asked.

"There was a home invasion last night," Fuller said.

"According to Crime data, the average break-in lasts between 8-10 minutes. That's why at my burglary school we are trying to get down to 5-7," Doug piped in, proud of his stupid joke.

Fuller began tossing everyone a folder as he explained, "Brian, Tiffany, John, Will, Dianne, and Carmen Sanders were all found dead last night. Each were shot in the back of the head, execution style in their beds."

Tom opened the folder first and glanced down for just a moment before he promptly closed it and put his fist over his mouth and looked like he was going to gag. I peered down and opened my folder, and my lips parted in shock at what I was looking at. They were photos taken of the crime scene, and all I saw was blood. The next page were photos of the bodies of the family.

"Geez Louise," Doug said under his breath as he was looking at the pictures.

Fuller said, "it's a rough scene."

"We will have to go there?" Judy asked.

"No," Fuller answered quickly. Judy let out a sigh of relief.

"Why was a family of six targeted?" I asked.

"We aren't sure yet," Fuller said.

"Wait, you said six? I only see five bodies," Ioki said.

"Back page," Fuller said.

I turned another page and saw Mr. Sanders laying on his back by the front door. Blood was coming out of his head, and chest. I was a little confused so I asked, "I thought Mr. Sanders was shot in his bed?"

"He was. We think that he woke up from when he shot Mrs. Sanders, and the assailant shot him in the head. Analysis said that the bullet didn't go through his skull. Mr. Sanders got up and chased the assailant out of the house," Fuller said.

"You mean... Mr. Sanders had a head injury and the assailant had a gun and Sanders was able to chase him out of his house?!" Doug asked.

"If I shot somebody in the head point blank and they kept coming after me, I'd run too," Tom said.

"No kidding," I added.

"The assailant shot him in the chest, which ended up killing him. As he was running away, he ran into a neighbor who was walking her dog. He shot at her, but she managed to run back to her house and call the cops," Fuller finished.

"Why do they need us?" I asked.

Fuller said, "the girl is Sydney Goodman, a senior at Bedrock High School. The assailant has been sending her death threats all night, so we have reason to believe that he will be targeting her next. Her parents were in Louisiana, but we've contacted them and they have a flight back tomorrow. Hoffs, you are going to pose as Sydney Goodman and we will pretend to relocate you to secondary location to make him believe that she is not in the house. In reality, Hanson and Gregg will be watching her in her home."