Deaths of Tom Hanson and Doug Penhall: The McQuaid Brothers

(I would put a spoiler warning for the 21 and 22 Jump Street films for the next couple of chapters but the movies came out like a decade ago. Watch them!!)

April 2012

I graduated from Evergreen State University with honors in 1992. I accepted a career with the Federal Bureau of Investigation shortly after where I became a Special Agent on the force. I had a few heart-to-hearts with Fuller and Tom before making such a big decision like this, especially when I transferred to the Chicago field office. Tom and Doug talked me into taking the promotion, but leaving Evergreen State was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made, but one of the best.

Tom and I stayed in close contact, even after I moved to Chicago. We would call each other as often as we could, and he would write to me almost weekly, and I kept every single letter. He wrote about all the things he was scared of, and excited about. He said that when things got rough, he would think of me and he would close his eyes just so he can see me again.

That worked very well until 2007, when he told me that he was going to be handling an intense undercover case, so he wouldn't be able to write for a while. He was not allowed to write to me, or text me, or even call me. He promised that he would show back up at my door when he and Penhall were off the case, and every day I looked forward to seeing him again. I was just waiting for my officer to come back home.

This morning, my phone rang. I was overjoyed when I saw that the area code came from Metropolis. I quickly answered it with the biggest grin, and my heart was ready to hear Tom's voice again, after five long years of not being able to hear from him at all. 

"Mickey?" Judy Hoffs said on the other end. Her voice was shaky, and she was never shaken.

My heart dropped, "hey, Judy. What's up?"

"You're going to have to sit down for this," she began. I immediately sunk onto my couch, where she delivered the bad news. Doug and Tom were both shot to death while infiltrating a gang in Metropolis. Her voice was low and soft, and I let her speak.

Once she became silent, my mind was blank. I could hear the seriousness in her voice, but I defaulted to denial. There was no way that they were dead. They can't be. The world is not that selfish and cruel.

I let out a joyless chuckle and I said, "did Doug put you up to this?"

"Mickey, please—"

"There is no way this is true."

"Mickey, they are dead. Tom is dead. Doug is dead."

I shook my head while tears sprung onto my red cheeks. "No, no, no they're not. I am going to call Tom right now, and he is going to pick up the phone. I'm going to call him... and you'll see."

"Mickey—"

I immediately hung up the phone and quickly dialed Tom's number. I haven't been able to call him in a very long time, but I just needed to hear his voice. I needed to hear him just one last time.

Ring

Ring

Ring

Silence. Not even a voicemail greeting. In my frustration, I hung up and called his number again. And again, and again. The silence was deafening. I anxiously called Doug, and I received the same response.

Nothing.

My shaky hand put the landline back on its base. I still could not fathom how they were gone. They had always been such a big part of my life for so long, and I didn't have a chance to see them and say goodbye properly. I guess you never know when the last time you will see someone.