Breaking and Entering

Captain Fuller sent me home from work early because we were contacted about a local gangster, who I had arrested a last year, who escaped custody and was sending me personal death threats for months. I was Quincy Michael's arresting officer, so Fuller sent me home and assigned a cop from the Metro Station to watch my apartment until they caught the guy.

I told Tom about the threats I was getting about a week ago. He convinced me to tell Fuller, and when I did, and the threats started escalating. I found dead animals in shoeboxes in front of my door, and they started calling the Jump Street chapel with threats directed towards me.

Fuller was able to redial the number one day, and the phone rang and rang until it got to voicemail. Fuller left a stern voicemail message, telling the perpetrator that he needed to come down to the station and turn himself in. When I got home that night, I saw that I had a voicemail on my answering machine. When I played it, it was the exact message that Fuller had left. When I realized that whoever called the station with another threat had called using my landline, I immediately called Fuller and I had to stay with my neighbor until Fuller got there and he did a thorough sweep of my apartment. I made him promise not to tell anyone else. Fuller was finally able to get the Metro Police Department to take these threats seriously, and they were finally able to start a case against it. But not before Quincy took it another step further.

That night, I had woken up in a cold sweat. I was laying on my stomach with the side of my face mushed into my pillow, with my clammy fist clutching the fabric of the pillowcase tightly. My eyes shot open as if I had just woken abruptly from a night terror.

I blinked a couple of times before my eyes adjusted to the darkness and I focused on my digital alarm clock. It was just after two in the morning, so I was already annoyed that I had woken up for no reason. But before I could move, I thought I heard someone breathing behind me.

I immediately froze. My eyes widened in horror and I stopped breathing out of sheer terror that I wasn't alone in my bedroom. Without moving my head, my eyes bolted around the room trying to see where I put my gun last night... but then I remembered that it was in my closet. My frantic eyes kept looking around to see what I could use to protect myself with until they landed on my alarm clock, the heaviest thing I had within arms reach.

I haven't given myself a chance to breathe yet. I kept thinking that if I don't move, he will leave. If I don't breathe, he will forget that I'm there and he will sneak out of here and leave me alone. I closed my eyes again, and knew that I had to do something and fast.

I fought through my fear, and in a split second I reached over to grab my alarm clock and I sat up quickly, raising it above my head while yanking it out of the outlet, ready to strike.

My arms fell limply down to my comforter when I didn't see anyone else in the room with me. I looked at every dark corner, and it was empty. I let out a high sigh of relief, and figured that I just had some sort of intense dream that I couldn't remember which made me think someone else was in my bedroom.

I quietly set my alarm clock back down on my nightstand and reached down to plug it back into the wall. I fixed the time back to normal, then I crawled out of bed so I could get myself a glass of water to help calm myself down so I could get a few more hours of sleep in.

As I was walking back to my bedroom, I passed my bathroom but I immediately stopped and turned to face the shower. The shower curtain was fluttering just a bit. Without a draft, the curtain is always perfectly still. This made my heart stop and the hair in the back of my neck stand on end.